Birkenstocks: More than a Fashion Statement?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Since the start of school, I’ve noticed an influx in the amount of people sporting the controversial Birkenstock sandals. One Urban Dictionary definition claims Birkenstocks are, “the ugliest shoes ever,” or “Hippie Prada”. Regardless of the remarks shoes garner, I must admit, in the fourth grade I lived in a pair of my own —yes, I even wore them out in three foot snow. About a year into my obsession, I decided I was sick of dealing with my mother’s look of disproval when I wore my battered suede clogs out of the house. So, I decided to ditch the look circa fifth grade. 

With my past experience, I was shocked to see so many people of campus wearing the so called “Hippie Prada” sandal. And, I was even more surprised to see the Birk trend appear at New York Fashion Week a few weeks ago. Models and attendees alike both donned varying styles and colors of Birkenstocks. According to a Vogue article,  the increased popularity started with a Céline show back in Spring 2013, but has proliferated in recent months. Why might this be? Well, everyone wants the “new trend”, however, I believe that wearing Birkenstocks also shows our generation’s tendency to be more egalitarian. Not many styles  can be worn by models, college students and farmers. The fact that these shoes cross so many boundaries make wearing Birks a social statement. We’re the generation that recognizes reverting to old ways might be the best way to progress. In the end, though I may not think Birks are the most attractive shoe, I’ve probably noticed them on campus so often because fashion dictates they be worn, and, more importantly, because they perfectly fit the many college student’s views. 

Her Campus Tulane