9 Free Apps You Need Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

1. Foodspotting: Ok I’ll admit it: I’m guilty of taking pictures of super yummy looking meals before I devour them. But I’m certainly not the only one who indulges in this act. Thousands of people are photographing their food when they’re out to eat, and sharing these photos to help others share their tastebuds’ joy. So, why not get the inside scoop and search for one of the 2.5 million dishes on Foodspotting next time you’re having a craving?

2. BigOven: Are you one of those foodies who prefers to stay in and create their own scrumptious masterpieces instead of eating out? Look no further than BigOven. It’s the perfect way to organize all those countless tasty recipes.

3. Flipboard: Life’s too busy to read every single news flash in its entirety. With Flipboard, you can keep up on the news that’s most relevant to you, and in a visually appealing way. The magazine-like format is perfect when you’re running around and want to read something that’s easy to digest quickly.  

4. Jelly: Jelly’s website sums it up best: Jelly uses photos, interactive maps, location, and most importantly, people to deliver answers to all your questions. If you want up to the minute answers by folks in your area who know all about what you’re asking, you need Jelly in your life.

5. Codecademy: Learning the basics of coding is an invaluable skill, and it’s not as hard to do as you might think. An app like Codecademy can help you do so. As Google’s Made With Code campaign website points out, even if being a software developer isn’t at the top of your list, fields like social media, music, crime-scene investigation, video gaming, fashion, farming, government, education, design, manufacturing, or film and special effects very well might be. Computer programming and coding are super relevant to pretty much every industry nowadays, so what are you waiting for?

6. Waze: This app is a lifesaver if you want to avoid traffic, car accidents, and sneaky cop cars. Since it’s the largest community based traffic and navigation app, it’s also the best. Other drivers in the area keep you informed with the latest saving you gas and time whenever you hit the road. This is my dad’s fave app; he uses it every day while commuting to and from work.

7. Uber: If you haven’t heard of Uber yet, prepare to have your mind blown. Sick of getting gypped by taxis and mooching off your friends for rides? Uber is a safe, reliable, and cheap way to connect to drivers in your area and get a ride in minutes. It’s just starting to become more popular in NOLA, so get excited.

8. Studio: You know you want to fancify your artsy or cute pics with captions and cool graphics. You can make your creations as public or private as you want, and it’s fun to “remix” other people’s creative designs, too. Get pumped to make some masterpieces with Studio.

9. Keezy: Instead of mindlessly scrolling through Facebook or Insta, unleash your inner musical creative genius by mixing and matching some sick beats. It’s so user friendly and fun, you’ll be addicted to this app in no time.