Tufts Love Guru on Dates Gone Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Hey there, Collegiettes, I’m back! It’s crazy to think that just one year ago my friends and I were in the place of the freshmen now. We were meeting new people, trying to find our so-called niches, and “reinventing” ourselves as new college students. Yeah, that’s so cliché; but let’s be honest, it’s true. With a new year comes new opportunities, new friendships, new environments (Hello, Hodgdon 2.0), and who knows – maybe even new chances at finding love. That being said, life and love are not always perfect; and we’ve all experienced moments when we feel the urge to run away. Here’s what your fellow undergrads had to say about their worst experiences with the opposite sex.

Let’s start with the newbies.

Freshman Boy: One time, I took a girl to a party. Next thing I knew, she was making out with another dude.

I’m sorry, bud. We girls can be tough sometimes; but try to remind yourself that one day you might just be the one that the girl chooses to kiss.

Freshman Girl: So I was on a first date and the guy told me that he thought I was the one. He loved how I was so confident in biology class and wanted to make me his forever. Too bad that wasn’t me in bio class…

Jeez… That date must have been uncomfortable. Good thing you got that cleared up early on.

Welcome back sophomores…

Sophomore Boy: Once, when I was making out with a girl on the floor of a movie theatre, we caught a middle-aged lady staring at us. I saw her nametag and realized that she was a movie theatre employee, so we ran out of there as fast as we could. After we escaped, the girl told me that she had left her bra inside and I had to go back to fetch it. It was just too much.

Wow – I can’t even begin to imagine how embarrassing and awkward that situation was. I would’ve left the bra and never gone back.

Sophomore Girl: One time, I invited over a guy that I barely knew and after a few minutes, I realized that I wasn’t that into him. When my dad came home, he invited him to stay for dinner; and even though I said no, he accepted the invitation. It was the most miserable meal I’ve ever had.

Seems like that boy just didn’t get the message.  Hate to be harsh, but sometimes you just have to kick him out and hope for the best.

Here’s what the juniors had to say…

Junior Boy: I once had a girl make me wait 45 minutes for her to get ready. What was she doing, pasting on another face? I haven’t spoken to her since.

Haha, this is so funny and so true. It’s normal for girls to take longer in front of the mirror; but being 45 minutes late for a date is crossing line. It’s a date, not the red carpet.

Junior Girl: I went to a formal with a boy last year and all he did the entire time was boast about how many girls he had gotten with and the booty calls he was expecting later that night.

Uh-oh! Someone has an ego. If I were you, I would’ve taken my icy Diet Coke and poured it down his shirt.

And finally the seniors…

Senior Boy:  This one time I went to a formal with a girl who wore a dress that was completely see-through; it left nothing to my imagination. You’d think a guy would enjoy it, but I just felt very uncomfortable.

I get you. Sometimes less is more and many girls in college have a hard time understanding that. It’s so much better to imagine what is under then to see it right off the bat.

Senior Girl: One time, I found some girl sitting at a table with my date. I was really confused at first because it was supposed to just the two of us. Things made themselves clear when he explained that she was his other girlfriend and that we should consider having a threesome.

What?! I’m sorry, but who does this guy think he is – John Tucker?! If this ever happens again, which it really shouldn’t, become friends with the other girl and take control of the situation like the sexy protagonists in The Other Woman.

As you can see, love isn’t always perfect. As many Friends fans would understand, sometimes you have to date a bunch of Janice’s before you find a Monica*.  It’s a fresh new year full of fresh new starts.  So hey, if you do have a bad experience, just laugh it off. It happens to all of us. Just remember: when you least expect it, the right person will come your way. He may not literally sweep you off of your feet or ride with you on horseback to the marvelous lands of Harvard Square (‘cause let’s be honest this is Medford and not the magical land of Arundel); but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that the right guy will make you forget all of those terrible dates and stay by your side so that you never experience one again (yeah, this sounds extremely idealistic, but I’ve seen it happen). Just put yourself out there, collegiates, and meet as many new faces as you can.

*Janice was Chandler Bing’s crazy ex on the acclaimed T.V. show, Friends. Monica was Chandler’s best friend who later became his beautiful wife.

Hi I'm Caro. I'm a member of the Tufts Her Campus, and love writing for my fellow women. HCXO