This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Approximately, 39.6% of people will be diagnosed with cancer at some point during their lives, but you have the power to help these people defeat cancer by joining Relay for Life. Relay For Life is a team fundraising event for the American Cancer Society that takes place in more than 20 countries. Donations are put towards funding cancer research, support programs for patients, information and education, and treatment programs. Each event is 6-24 hours long and team members take turns walking around a track or path to signify that cancer never sleeps. Here at Tufts, the actual Relay event will take place April 7th from 6 P.M. to 3 A.M. The theme this year is Disney, as the event is particularly raising awareness for  childhood cancers.

There are many ways to get involved!!! You can begin by registering for the event at www.relayforlife.org/tufts

You can create or join a team, then ask family and friends to support you. At the actual event there will be many activities, lots of food, performances by Tufts entertainment groups, and reflections by people who have been directly or indirectly affected by cancer. One of the most powerful events is the Luminaria Ceremony, in which relay-goers light candles and bring bags decorated in honor of lost loved ones.

Georgia Goodman, one of the presidents of Relay for Life at Tufts, spoke with us about her experience with Relay for Life.

“Relay For Life is an incredible event, one that I’m lucky to have been involved in for the past 8 years. For me, the best part is knowing that I can actually make a difference in the fight against cancer, both by raising money and by raising awareness. At its core, Relay is a community-building event that brings people together to honor survivors and caregivers, and remember those that we have lost.”

We hope this gives you a little insight on the behind-the-scene workings of Relay for Life and inspires you to join us this year.

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.