This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Mascara and lipstick were not on most of our radars during the recent blizzard. For many of us, red cheeks from the cold temperature were the only color on our faces. Now that Juno has passed, we can begin to try some new makeup looks, especially ones with bold and eccentric colors. This makeup tutorial is inspired by YouTube queen Michelle Phan’s “Urban Reign” look. Watch her tutorial here

1. Prime and Prep

For every makeup look, be sure to use a primer to help the makeup stay on all night. As usual, use a foundation that fits your skin tone the best and a concealer to cover any dark spots/circles or zits.

2. Bring on the Colors

Eyes are the main focus of this look. Be playful and experiment with colors! To create this look, first use a purple pencil or eye shadow to mark the outer edge of your natural eye shape. Add on another layer of navy blue color on the outer edge. Blend in the colors to avoid any harsh lines and be sure to leave the middle part of your eyelid clean. Use an eyeliner brush to bring the navy blue to the outer third of your lower lashline.

Next, use a shimmering gold eye shadow and dab it onto your lid where you left it empty. Also dab the gold onto the inner circle to brighten and open up your eyes.

Use a liquid liner with a dark color (but not black) to line your eyes. Black would be too heavy for the other colors. And lastly, curl those lashes and apply mascara! You can also use fake lashes if you feel like going above and beyond.

3. Play the Brow Game and Balance it Out

For such a multifaceted look, remember to balance it out by filling in the brows with a brown brow pencil to create a feathery illusion.

Be sure to contour your face for this edgy look. Put bronzer on to your natural cheekbones and temples, and add blush to your apples to give your face dimensions.

After shaping your face, set the look by using a powder and a setting spray.

4. Be a Little Bolder

If you feel like the look isn’t loud enough just yet, finish it up with a bright red lip. Whether it’s the perfect holiday red, or a deeper berry shade as Michelle uses in her video, you cannot complete a bright look without a red lip!

Suggested Products:

H&M Smoky Eyeshadow Palette in Turquoise (for blue shadow), H&M or hm.com $5.99

Maybelline “The Nudes” Eye Shadow Palette (for gold shadow), CVS $9.99

Maybelline “ColorSensational” Lipstick in #635 Very Cherry, CVS $6.99

photo source: youtube.com