Our Conversation with James Franco & Sam Raimi…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Yes, that’s right we were on the line with James Franco and director Sam Raimi, unfortunately it was not to discuss our future wedding plans. Instead, we heard from the two about the upcoming release of their new flick, Oz The Great and Powerful. The new film is a prequel to the classic 1939 version starring Judy Garland that we all know so well. It tells the fantastical story of how smalltime magician Oscar Briggs becomes the infamous wizard of Oz. Hollywood heartthrob, James Franco, will star as Oz, alongside an all-star cast including Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, and Mila Kunis.

When we asked how he came to such an all-star lineup Raimi answered he didn’t necessarily choose the best actor or actress, but he chose the one that best captured the character he was casting. Why Mila? Well her character is innocent and then takes on a dark side somewhere within the duration of the film (sounds a little like a certain ballerina movie I saw not too long ago; Black Swan perhaps?).  Whatever his reasons it’ll be hard to argue that this cast is anything but amazing.

So what should we expect Franco’s character Oscar Briggs to be like? He claims that he will definitely not be, “a male version of Dorothy”. Instead he described Briggs more as a selfish, womanizing, conman. Don’t fret though Collegiettes, because this not-so-nice guy is rumored to have a transformation into a more wholesome character.

Following an array of whimsical and magical favorites like Alice in Wonderland and Frankenweenie, Disney’s newest classic is sure to delight with remarkable special effects and interspersed live action. The footage released thus far displays captivating lush forest scenes and colorful characters that will probably be worth the splurge for the premium 3D version in theaters. Michelle Williams commented that, “The sets and the costumes were beyond my expectations. I couldn’t imagine things that big and that beautiful and I got to play inside that world everyday.” To embark on a fantastical adventure Mr. Franco (not to mention get a glimpse of him) and the rest of the talented cast catch Oz The Great And Powerful when it hits theaters March 8th. To find out more about the flick watch the preview.

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.