A Guide to Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

As the temperature begins to fall towards cold, colder, and coldest, cuffing season is commencing. For those of you who don’t know what cuffing season is, it is a season-specific occurrence. Those who usually prefer the single and unrestrained life often have a change of heart once the trees become bare. The cold weather inhibits the desire to go outside and mingle, and the resulting loneliness causes some to find a cold weather cuddle buddy and “cuff” them in to being in a relationship. This phenomenon, while sensible, is not without consequences. Here is a guide to navigating cuffing season with minimal damage:

Face it Tufts collegiettes— we live in one of the coldest, major cities in the country. Once the temperature drops to single digits, spending your night hitting up Pro Row will be a thing of the past. This means less opportunity to peruse the Tufts hook-up pool. Reeling in a cuff now seems like a more viable solution.

1.     Find a good cuff suitor

Stay away from exes and old flings. You need someone who you don’t plan on being with in the long run. Not only should you find this person attractive, but also, they should be someone you can hang out with comfortably. In other words, someone who’d double as a good bud and someone you would want to cuddle with.

2.     Don’t have any major expectations

Remember that you’re going in to this knowing that it will be temporary, and your cuff should feel the same way. With that understanding comes boundaries. Since the relationship should only be during the cold months, don’t fantasize about the long haul. Also, is it exclusive, or can your cuff have side interests?  How serious do you want this relationship to be? Remember, the fewer obligations, the cleaner a cuffing season conclusion.

3.     Have fun with it

You should never feel bad about going in to a relationship for the sole purpose of having a warm body to cuddle with. We are young, we are humans, and many of us need human contact to stay sane. This need is completely natural. Also, if both sides are aware of the temporary relationship, than there is nothing to be ashamed of. May your cuffing season be full of laughs, cuddles, kisses, and pleasant memories!

One major piece of advice to take from this guide is that cuffing someone doesn’t make you superficial, desperate, heartless, or any other negative thing. If you and your cuff are mature about the situation, then having a winter cuddle buddy is wonderful. Once the season ends, you can decide whether to take the relationship somewhere else or move on. Either way, you may end up with a great friend! 

photo courtesy of: 8tracks.com and keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk

Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, Morgan is a Sophmore at Tufts University majoring in International Relations and French. Other than HerCampus, some things she does includes playing Club Volleyball, being a part of KAO, walking dogs that live around campus (!!!), and napping professionally.