Carm vs. Dewick: The Ultimate Dining Hall Showdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

There is an endless debate on the Tufts campus about which dining hall is truly the best. You can’t come to Tufts and not have a go-to dining hall. Are you a downhill die-hard rooting for Dewick or an uphill enthusiast set on Carm?

Social

Personally, I love Dewick for its social aspect. Regardless of what time you go, I guarantee there will be someone you know there. Whether in line for food, at your table, or putting your food away, there are so many familiar faces. There will usually always be someone for you to eat with, god forbid you sit alone at a long table!

On the ‘social’ scale Dewick wins hands down. But, if you show up sweaty after a workout at Carm, you probably won’t run into that cute boy you’re crushing on! Carm is much calmer and quieter and it is much more acceptable to sit alone and not be judged.

Studying

I’m not going to lie, I have found myself in Dewick for over 9 hours straight on a few occasions. I post up at a round table and spend my time doing homework, eating and socializing. Although it can be distracting with the circulation of people, it is not impossible to get work done there especially when there are lulls in activity and the place is quieter and emptier. Another big plus for Dewick is that it has more electrical outlets.

Carm probably wins though for the better studying environment. The dining hall is quieter throughout the day and there are many nooks and crannies to hide away in, put in headphones and work. And if you forget headphones, don’t even worry because Carm has killer playlists ranging from recent pop to old classics. Odds are most people will not disturb you because they are in Carm to work, too. As the less busy dining hall, you can usually find a table to yourself and not have anyone ask to sit with you.

And finally, the most important factor: FOOD

Breakfast: Carm’s got this one. The selection of good fruit surpasses Dewick and they have all the breakfast essentials from eggs to pancakes. And I’ve never experienced Carm running out of bagels and the spreads as Dewick sometimes does. Don’t forget Carm has Cocoa Krispies too!!! But, it’s always a great day when Dewick serves assorted muffins – stick those in the microwave and enjoy!

Lunch: I’m not a huge lunch person, but each dining hall has special food features. Carm, for example, has burrito days while Dewick has taco days. However, since Dewick is bigger, you can usually find more selection there.

Dinner: I always recommend checking the menus for this one. Carm has specialty dinners such as Stir Fry Night, Omelet Night and a Mac and Cheese Bar, but again, Dewick has more selection with featured Thanksgiving Dinners and the Carver. Although rumor has it Carm has been having mozzarella sticks recently! And don’t forget Sundae Thursday and Sunday at both dining halls. HACK: Make an ice cream sundae waffle – you won’t regret it.

Here’s what some Tufts collegiettes had to say about on campus dining:

“I originally preferred Dewick because it had more options, but now I feel that I’ve figured the ins and outs of both dining halls and I’m starting to lean more towards Carm, but mainly because of convenience.” – Julia Todesco ‘20

“Tbh, I don’t think there are words that explain how I feel about Dewick. That’s how much I love it.” – Rachel Hamilton ‘20

“Carm, because I live right above it and don’t need to go out into the cold to get food.” – Gigi Tutoni ‘19

“Dewick rocks because it has a bigger selection of food (that usually includes French fries), round tables for more inclusive convos, and a killer playlist featuring hits from David Bowie and Cat Stevens.” – Issy Del Priore ‘19

“I love Carm because it is a great place to study, but Dewick has the best environment and I love getting to see all my friends there!” – Mary Kate Patton ‘18

I’m Dewick till I die, but you can occasionally catch me in Carm (especially if they have General Gao’s Chicken). If you’re looking for a more social dining hall with larger selection, Dewick is your place. But, if you’re looking for a quick meal alone, Carm is a good choice. The convenience factor of living uphill and downhill makes a huge difference, but I know downhillers who make the uphill trek to Carm and vice versa.

So, which dining hall person are you?

Photo source:

/placeology-prod.s3.amazonaws.com

tuftsdaily.com

Hanaa is a sophomore at Tufts University majoring in International Relations. She plays on the varsity field hockey team and in her spare time loves to hang out with friends and discover cool new places.