Best Female Leads on TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

TV is flooded with female actresses playing countless exciting and groundbreaking roles. So many of these shows capture the female experience in new ways and show great improvement in diversity over previous years of television. From comedies like “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” to the suspense filled first season of “Big Little Lies,” there’s plenty to choose from. Here is a list of 14 shows (some new and some old) to start as soon as you finish studying!    

1) Jane the Virgin

This show just returned with its fourth season, featuring Jane Villanueva (played by Gina Rodriguez) as the strong, independent lead alongside Petra Solano (played by Yael Grobglas), Xiomara (played by Andrea Navedo), and Alba (played by Ivonne Coll). This telenovela style TV show is super funny, overly dramatic, and does a great job of showcasing a predominantly Latino cast.  

2) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Kimmy Schmidt (played by Ellie Kemper) is the definition of adventurous in this hilarious TV show created by Tina Fey. Lillian (played by Carol Kane) and Jacqueline Voorhes (played by Jane Krakowski) spice up the show, and add plenty of drama and humor.

3) Scandal

Currently in its seventh suspenseful season, Scandal follows the life of strong female lead character Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington), along with Mellie Grant (played by Bellamy Young), Quinn Perkins (played by Katie Lowes), and Abby Whelan (played by Darby Stanchfield). The show is also created by Shonda Rhimes.

4) Shameless

This show follows the difficult life of a family growing up in Chicago, led by female character Fiona Gallagher (played by Emmy Rossum) alongside Veronica Fisher (played by Shanola Hampton) and Debbie Gallagher (played by Emma Kenney). The eighth season is set to be released on November 5th!  

5) How to Get Away with Murder

Annalise Keating (played by Viola Davis) leads this show, along with female characters and co stars Laurel Castillo (played by Karla Souza), Michaela Pratt (played by Aja Naomi King), and Bonnie Winterbottom (played by Liza Weil). This TV show is currently in the midst of its fourth season.

6) Broad City

This hugely popular web series is created by and stars female comedians Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, portraying best friends living together in New York City. Amy Poehler is also an executive producer of the show and makes a guest star appearance.

7) Girls

This buzz worthy TV show is also set in New York, following the lives on female characters Hannah Horvath (played by Lena Dunham), Marnie Michaels (played by Allison Williams), Jessa Johansson (played by Jemima Kirke), and Shoshanna Shapiro (played by Zosia Mamet).

8) Orange is the New Black

Orange is the New Black does an amazing job of showcasing diversity of all kinds, following the lives of female inmates Piper Chapman (played by Taylor Schilling), Alex Vause (played by Laura Prepon), Sophia Burset (played by Laverne Cox), Suzanne (played by Uzo Aduba), Tasha (played by Danielle Brooks), Nicky Nichols (Natasha Lyonne), Poussey Washington (played by Samira Wiley), and many others. And it’s not over yet – the show will release two more seasons in the near future!

9) Stranger Things

The much-anticipated second season of Stranger Things comes back to Netflix on October 27th, just in time for Halloween. Female leads Eleven (played by Millie Bobbie Brown), Joyce (played by Winona Ryder), and Nancy (played by Natalia Dyer) will all return, along with new addition Max (played by Sadie Sink).

10) Big Little Lies

The first season of Big Little Lies follows the star-studded cast of moms Celeste Wright (played by Nicole Kidman), Madeline Martha Mackenzie (played by Reese Witherspoon), Jane Chapman (played by Shailene Woodley), Renata Klein (played by Laura Dern), and Bonnie Carlson (played by Zoë Kravitz). For the greatest number of famous female leads, look no further than this show.

11) Insecure

This TV show follows the comical lives of best friends Issa Dee (played by Issa Rae) and Molly Carter (played by Yvonne Orji). Tiffany DuBois (played by Amanda Seales), Frieda (played by Lisa Joyce), Kelli (played by Natasha Rothwell), Sarah (played by Sujata Day), Kitty (played by Veronica Mannion), and Joanne (played by Catherine Curtin) round out the female characters. Issa Rae is also one of the creators.

12) New Girl

Renewed for a seventh (and final) season, this laugh-out-loud comedy is a must watch. Characters Jessica Day (played by Zooey Deschanel) and Cece (played by Hannah Simone) portray best friends perfectly.  

13) Blacklist

This action packed drama features female lead characters Elizabeth Keene (played by Megan Boone), Samar Navabi (played by Mozhan Marnò), and Mr. Kaplan (played by Susan Blommaert). The Blacklist is currently in the midst of its fifth season.  

14) Riverdale

Season two of this TV show just started, so now is a perfect time to tune in or catch up. Female characters Veronica Lodge (played by Camila Mendes), Betty Cooper (played by Lili Reinhart), and Cheryl Blossom (played by Madelaine Petsch) will return even more dramatic and over the top than before.

Abbie Gruskin is a current sophomore at Tufts University pursuing a double major in English and Anthropology. When not writing for Her Campus, she designs graphics for Tufts Her Campus social media and apparel. Abbie has previously worked for Hobo Bags researching emerging trends, and contemporary clothing line Navette designing graphics for silk garments. Abbie hopes to combine her passion for design and fashion with writing by working for a magazine after college. 
Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.