TREEhouse and Outdoors Club President Jess Voight ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

1. How can you get involved with the Outdoors Club and the TREEhouse? What do both respective organizations offer students? 

It’s really easy to get involved with outdoors activities here on campus.Between Outdoors Club, Rock Climbing Club, and Outdoor Education there are numerous chances every week to take a trip outdoors . Unlike many clubs, there is virtually no planning required by the participant, no meetings, and usually no cost. All we request is that members are enthusiastic about the outdoors. We send out emails weekly with event listings as well as using a Facebook page. 

The TREEHouse (Trinity Recreation and Environmental Education House) is home to the Outdoorss Club, Green Campus, and the Brewing Club. The goals of this overarching umbrella called the TREEHouse, is to promote a community on campus where students can come together and share in their common interests of nature appreciation and conservation.

2. What kinds of activities does the club host?

Lots of things! Hiking, canoeing, kayaking, skiing, snowshoeing, backpacking, rock climbing, ice climbing, and camping! This coming weekend, over Trinity Days, we will be taking a trip to Acadia National Park in Maine. 

3. What does the trip to Acadia involve? What is your favorite part?

This will be our third year traveling to Acadia for Trinity Days. The trip focuses on teaching some of the camping basics, like cooking on a camp stove, starting a fire, and setting up shelter.  During the days we will be hiking and exploring the island.

My favorite part of the Acadia trip last year was catching the sunrise on the top of Cadillac Mountain. It is said that those who view the sunrise at the summit are the first in the country to see the sun that day.  

4. How do you think Trinity as a whole can improve their sustainability and care for the environment?

I think sustainability on campus can be approved greatly. One simple thing students can do is actually use the recycling bins, which I so often see being used incorrectly. Hartford has a single stream recycling system, where cardboard, glass and plastic bottles, cans, and paper can all be placed into the same bin.  While some students may know this, most students neglect the idea of recycling, or recycling correctly for their own convenience. 

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.