So you got sick (along with everyone else on campus), now what?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

So it’s that time of year again. We’re resettling back onto campus, winter is here, yet it feels like the weather is constantly changing AND almost everyone is getting sick or already sick. Mind you, I am writing this with a tissue box and hot tea to the right of me and a pile of gross used tissues to my left. So trust me when I say being sick is probably one of the most annoying things in the world. If you’re out there sharing my struggle (I’m deeply sorry if you are), I’ve gathered some things that may hopefully help you out in this horrible, agonizing state of health.

1. HAVE WATER BY YOUR BED. One night I completely neglected keeping a water right next to my bed while I was sleeping and, boy, did I regret it. I don’t know about you, but usually when I get sick, my throat is probably what hurts the most and it gets ten times worse when I wake up in the middle of the night. So to comfort or avoid a Sahara-like throat, please keep water exactly an arm’s length away from you. Not ANY further!

2.  Stack up on the SUPER SOFT tissues. One of the biggest things you can overlook when sick are tissues. Either the absence of them or not choosing the right ones. First, no one likes to constantly wipe their nose on paper towels; it’s basically equivalent to wiping your nose with sand paper. Second, it’s not just about having the tissues but having the right ones. Do yourself a favor and just get the soft, gentle, made by angels, cloud-like ones, you’d thank me later.

3.  Keep food and snacks on deck. Chances are, if you’re sick, you’re going to be glued to your bed and for valid reasons. Being stuck to your bed and not having any food is not a good combination, so make sure you have enough food or snacks in your room to hold you off until you’re ready to interact with the world again (no rush though). It’d also be nice if you had a nice roommate who’d be willing to get you food. Sidenote— last year, I was down with a horrible cough and didnt leave my bed for a while day and basically forgot to eat, but my super kind and considerate roomie (S/O to Katherine!) left a can of soup, a bowl, and spoon next to my bed for when I needed it. It was probably one of the most considerate things anyone’s ever done for me.

4.  Choose the right Netflix series. I’m pretty sure that it’s a proven fact that Netflix helps cure any sickness. No one wants to be miserable, sick, AND bored, but when you’re sick, there’s a long list of things you aren’t able to do or shouldn’t do or would much less want to do. However, Netflix is fortunately not on that list! So choose a good Netflix series, preferably not a movie just because you’ll most like be stuck to your bed for more than two hours. And choose one that will make you completely forget about being sick, whether it’s completely got you hooked like Scandal or is laugh out loud funny like Parks and Rec; both are great choices.

5. Please take something to help you get better. I’m no doctor and I actually have very minimal knowledge on medicine or what one should take when they’re sick (other than DayQuil and NyQuil). Having said that, it is important that you have medicine to help your body fight off this sickness. There’s an entire aisle in CVS dedicated to this, so I’m sure there’s something out there that can help and, if anything, a simple bag of cough drops helps a ton.

6.  DON’T RUSH IT. I know, I keep repeating how sucky it is to be sick, but it won’t get any better if you’re constantly rushing to get better. Don’t force yourself to do things you know you’re body can’t handle. Sick on a weekend? There will be parties next week, they’re not going anywhere. The loud music, overly packed space, and your constant need to sneeze or cough will not help. Choose your battles wisely.

Small Tips:

• Don’t neglect your Vitamin C
  • It’s scientifically proven that if you dress better, you usually feel better. (I know no one wants to dress up when sick, but it might actually help)
  • Hot drinks soothe your throat a ton
  • Allow yourself some fresh air here and there.
  • Absolutely do not sleep with the windows open or fans on (if you do, that’s probably what got you sick in the first place). If you absolutely need a window open or fan on, just make sure the wind isn’t blowing directly in your face
  • Vick’s Vapor Rub is a miracle sent from the gods. Rub it on your chest and feet (weird, but works).
  • If it gets a lot worse or never seems to get better after a while, visit the Health Center.
  • Make sure to keep taking your medicine EVEN after you’re feeling better. This is absolutely key. Just because you’re feeling better doesn’t mean there’s no lingering sickness in your body.