books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Online Book Clubs You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

When it comes to enjoyable books, it is rarely hard to dislike the classics.  Sure Hemmingway and Steinbeck and Faulkner are all good choices, but I personally need modern books to break up reading classics.  To me, classics feel like work, since I almost feel like I have to read them, but modern books open up a ton of possibilities. I am constantly pining for book recommendations since I never really have anything specific in mind when I’m reading, so I started following some online book clubs.  Here are my three favorites:

Our Shared Shelf

This online book club was founded by Ms. Emma Watson – just like her character in the new adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, Emma loves to get lost in books.  The great thing about this book club is that it is all about female empowerment and feminism-based books.  Our Shared Shelf is in partnership with Goodreads, and the discussion is totally online.  You get a chance to chat with people across the world, including Emma herself!  Emma even went around the London subway system hiding some of the Shared Shelf books around the stations with personalized notes from Emma in them. 

Belletrist

This book club is brand new, founded by Emma Roberts and Karah Preiss.  I followed Emma Roberts a very long time ago on Instagram, solely because of the books she posts about.  Rarely have I read a book that she recommended and didn’t like it, so I was so excited to learn that she had finally created a book club.  This month’s pick, which I am currently reading, is Joan Didion’s South and West which is such a quick read it’s hard to not stick with it! 

Book of the Month Club

This club was founded in 1926!  On the first of every month, the Book of the Month Club announces the five best books of that month.  Then, if you want to read one of them, you choose from the list and the book is shipped right to you!  This one does cost money to be apart of, but that is because they provide you with the books!  All the books are topical, recent, and thoroughly entertaining!