Lilly Pulitzer for Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

As powdered sugar snowflakes cover sidewalks and temperatures drop seemingly by the second, it’s hard to imagine days where camp socks and knit hats will be replaced with chino shorts, frozen lemonade, and beach breezes. Even though school isn’t currently in session, there’s one thing that is uniting girls all over the country- the new Lilly Pulitzer for Target collection. With a release date of April 19th (perfect time to put together a new spring weekend outfit, #amirite), the new line will feature 250 exclusive items (all under $150!) including clothes, accessories, home goods, and plenty of beach gear for dreamy sunny days in Palm Beach.

A look at the Lilly Pulitzer for Target launch party

The collection will also bring back the classic shift dress, which made Lilly famous up and down Worth Avenue over fifty years ago.

A sneak peek at the bold, new patterns

There will be fifteen exclusive prints created by Lilly Pulitzer designers, all of which pay homage to the roots of the brand. By including classic Lilly images like palm trees, citrus fruit, and sailboats, longtime lovers of the brand will feel right at home, while new consumers will get a look at the history of the “Queen of Prep.” 

Lilly Pulitzer poses in her first store in Palm Beach

For those who don’t know the backstory, “it all started with a juice stand.” Lilly Pulitzer opened a juice stand in Palm Beach, using the fruit from her husband’s citrus groves; the juice would stain her clothes, unintentionally creating an array of brightly colored patterns. In order to protect her wardrobe while still looking fashionable, she designed her own sleeveless shift dresses in colorful cottons so that the juice stains would be disguised. Customers soon became more attracted more to her dresses than the juices and the Lilly Pulitzer brand was born.

Scarves featuring the exclusive print designers and pom-pom tassel trim

Most notably worn by Jacqueline Kennedy, Lilly Pulitzer is a classic investment, considered to be at the pinnacle of preppy women’s fashion. Women of all ages have taken part in the brand, in hopes of maintaining a “sunshine state of mind.” Last year, the company even put together a “#YouNeverForgetYourFirst…” campaign for loyal Lilly lovers to share their memories of the first Lilly item they owned. Though consumers have had mixed feelings on the upcoming collaboration with Target, at the end of the day, Lilly Pulitzer is not just a brand, but a timeless lifestyle and mentality which will continue to be shared for decades to follow.

Merchandise from the launch party

To keep up with all things Lilly x Target, follow @lillyfortarget on Instagram.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.
Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.