Three Baltimore Movies to Brighten Up Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Did you wake up today feeling the way you always do? Have no fear! I’ve got three great movies here that take place pretty close to home, in Baltimore. Whether you’ve never seen them before or have seen them ten times, they’re always guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

The first of the three is Hairspray, a musical comedy about the “pleasantly plump” Tracy Turnblad and her entrance into the spotlight on the Corny Collins show in 1960. Tracy not only rocks the stage, but also rocks the boat and thrives off an accepting attitude in a time where racism, segregation, and discrimination are the social norm. If you’re looking for a good fun time, full of campy music and cheesy jokes, Hairspray is the way to go. It was first released in 1988, but was remade after the Broadway adaptation’s wild success in 2008. For your visual enjoyment, I recommend the 2008 version, which stars Zac Efron, post-HSM days. Hairspray is best if you’re looking for light-heartedness and 60’s inspired music that will probably be stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

The second is a very under-appreciated romantic comedy from 2009 based on a self-help book by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo: He’s Just Not That Into You. The cast of this film is incredibly star studded, with Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Kevin Connolly, Bradley Cooper, Ginnifer Goodwin, Scarlett Johansson, and Justin Long as the front-runners. This movie is filled with big comedy, some tragedy, and the reminder that love is always worth the risk. He’s Just Not That Into You is best if you’re looking for hilarious jokes and something to hope for and believe in, especially if you’re being plagued by relationship troubles.

Lastly, and debatably the most classic, is Sleepless In Seattle. Released in 1993, Tom Hanks stars as widower Sam Baldwin, who is nicknamed “Sleepless in Seattle” by a talk radio show host. On the other side of the country, Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) hears Sam’s talk show interview and finds herself slowly falling for a man she has never met. Brought together by Sam’s intrusive son, Jonah, Sam and Annie prove that with just a little bit of luck and one huge romantic gesture, star-crossed love can end happily. It is such a romantic and touching movie that will make you swoon and wish you had a Sam Baldwin of your own. Sleepless in Seattle is always best. Whether you’re feeling amazing or a little less than amazing, you’re sure to smile through tears of joy with this classic blockbuster.

Hairspray, He’s Just Not That Into You, and Sleepless In Seattle are all sure to be awesome supplements in any situation. Does your relationship have you feeling down? Is school stressing you out? Need the perfect movie night with the girls after raiding West Commons and picking up as much ice cream as you can? At least one of these three movies is definitely a perfect way to go and sure to do the trick!

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.