Samantha Zweben: Actress and Towson Graduate: Starred in Step Up, Criminal Minds, And Law & Order SVU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work on the set of a major motion picture? The fascination with the lights, glamour, makeup, and stardust made be a mystery to some, but to one Towson graduate this is her everyday life. Actress Samantha “Sammy” Zweben knows a thing or two about the majestic world of film and television. She has worked on the sets of Step Up, Step Up 2, Criminal Minds and Law & Order SVU to name a few. A life long dancer, she danced on Towson’s dance team in college and even Carnegie Hall in New York City when she 14. Her Campus Towson had the opportunity to talk to Sammy about her life as an actress and her time spent at Towson:

What has been the most exciting experience you’ve had as an actress?

When I was in LA on a visit, (before I moved) and I had a meeting with a casting director. This was just called a ‘general meeting’.  He asked me if I was interested in auditioning for an upcoming episode of Criminal Minds while I was there. I, of course, said,”YES”.  I auditioned. The next day I flew back to New York City. I had a voicemail on my phone when I landed saying, “We’d like to offer you the role on Criminal Minds.”  I got my suitcase and got right back on a plane to LA!

What’s it like getting to work on big films like Step Up?

Step Up was great. I got to work with so many people. Besides working with Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum, (which was amazing), I got to work with huge choreographers, (Zach Woodlee from Glee and Jamal Sims Footloose, Hanna Montana the Movie, 17 Again, Vanilla Sky, Hairspray), amazing producers (Adam Shankman from Hairspray, Rock of Ages, So You Think You Can Dance) and the best director, (Anne Fletcher from 27 Dresses, The Proposal). I loved having a trailer. I loved having wardrobe, hair and make up done for me everyday. So much fun!  I can see how people get used to it!  I love being on set…period. It’s where I want to spend ALL OF MY TIME!

What was your favorite memory of your time at Towson? Do you ever miss it?

I often miss Towson University. I especially miss the Dance Team! We spent all of our time together. My favorite memory is being picked to dance in the Nationals competition as a freshman! I danced all four years I was in college. Towson is number one at National Dance Alliance for the past 13 years. There is something to be said about that. I’m proud of every single teammate…past, present and future. I promised my coach, Tom, that when I get another acting job….I’m going to donate to the team..that is after I pay my rent check :)

We’re big fans of Law & Order SVU here at Her Campus Towson, was Elliot Stabler as cute in person as he is on TV?

Christopher Meloni, (Elliot Stabler on Law and Order:SVU) was so nice to me. I worked on the episode, “PTSD” as Jessica Crewes. My character was murdered. I had a scene were I had to be stuffed in a trunk. It was not the best feeling, but everyone on the set was extremely nice to me. Mariska Hargitay was the best. She was actually in that scene with me. She was making sure I had enough water and could breathe. I like that whole cast and crew!

On the Set of Law & Order SVU

What’s going on in the future for you? Any big plans?

My plans. Well, I just moved to Los Angeles. That was huge for me. I never wanted to leave NYC, but it was time. There are truly way more opportunities for me in LA. I feel lucky that was I was able to pick up and move, but I miss my family and friends, tremendously. I hope that one day I book a show that films in NY. Then I can come home for good!!  My plan is to work hard everyday, do something each day that scares me and be a good person. The rest should continue to fall into place.

Keep up-to-date with Sammy at her website and be sure to check out her  work as an actress on her acting reel!

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.