Press Play: ‘Room’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Even though the Oscars have long past, the excitement lives on. One of the most exciting wins of the Oscar season was Brie Larson’s win for lead actress for the movie ‘Room.’ If you’re looking for a compelling film with a strong female lead and incredibly deep and complex characters, check out this one.

Seven years after being abducted, Joy Newsome and her five-year-old son Jack live in a one-room shed in the back of Joy’s captor’s backyard. Having only lived in “Room,” as Jack calls it, Jack has no sense of the outside world and does not believe anything exists outside of the small room they live in. One day, Joy finds a sliver of hope for their escape and starts to create a plan. Told from Jack’s perspective, ‘Room’ tells a brave story of trauma, understanding of the world, and how the aftermath is not as easy as it seems.

Based on the book by Emma Donoghue, ‘Room’ was the only film written by a woman that was nominated for best picture at the 88th Academy Awards. ‘Room’ stars Brie Larson (‘21 Jump Street’) as Joy Newsome, Jacob Tremblay (‘Smurfs 2’) as Jack Newsome, Sean Bridgers (‘Sweet Home Alabama’) as Old Nick, Joan Allen (‘Bourne Legacy’) as Nancy Newsome, and William H. Macy (‘Fargo’) as Robert Newsome.

‘Room’ is a story that answers the question, “Well, what happens next?” With half of the film spent on the escape, the other half is spent on the recovery. Joy struggles tremendously as she reenters the world after seven years of captivity. She is hounded with questions about her time being abducted and the choice to keep her son with her. She deals with anger at her captor, her mother, and the world. The emotion and depth displayed in this film is unbelievable and absolutely riveting.

A horrific story with a touching ending, ‘Room’ will have you in tears. But, it is much worth the use of your tissues. Check out ‘Room’ today!

Rated: R

118 minutes

Drama

Director: Lenny Abrahamson

Screenplay by: Emma Donoghue

Original novel by: Emma Donoghue

For fans of: ‘Silence of the Lambs’ and ‘Criminal Minds’

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.