Press Play: ‘Groundhog Day’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

“Do you know what day it is, folks? It’s Groundhog Day!”

‘Groundhog Day,’ the iconic 90s film starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, is celebrating its 23rd anniversary this February. What better way to honor the holiday by watching the movie?

Phil Connors (Bill Murray), Pittsburgh weatherman and total jerk, finds himself stuck in Punxsutawney, reliving the same day over and over again—February 2nd, Groundhog Day. After several suicide attempts and a series of crimes, Phil realizes that he may need to do more to finally get to February 3rd. In order to get out of the time loop, and with the help of Rita (Andie MacDowell), Phil changes his ways and becomes a more genuine and empathetic person.

‘Groundhog Day’ is truly an iconic film. It is actually included in the United States National Film Registry for its cultural significance, beside films like ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.’ Written by Scott Rubin and Harold Ramis—who worked with Bill Murray in ‘Ghostbusters’ (1984), on-screen as Dr. Egon Spengler, and off-screen as the writer—this movie truly is packed with laughs.

‘Groundhog Day’ features Bill Murray at his peak—dry wit, gut-busting humor and just a dash of weirdness thrown all together to create an epic comedy film. So, skip the romantic Valentine’s Day movies, and celebrate the fun-filled and totally underrated February holiday that is Groundhog Day!

Groundhog Day (1993)

Rated: PG

Comedy, Fantasy, Romance

Director: Harold Ramis

Screenplay by: Harold Ramis and Scott Rubin

Starring: Bill Murray (‘Ghostbusters’), Andie MacDowell (‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’)

For fans of: ‘Ghostbusters,’ ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’ and ‘The Truman Show’

*Trigger warning: Several suicide attempts portrayed in a humorous manner

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.