This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

When did you start doing music?

I’ve always dabbled with instruments like guitar, clarinet, and some drums growing up; but 2010 is when I began writing Rap/R&B under my own name. Back then, me and some friends would write some hogwash lyrics and run up to my other friend’s home studio and record for free. We were like 16 at the time and had some pretty advanced engineering compared to others in our area.

What sparked your interest in music?

I’m gonna be cliché and say my mother, but my situation was a little different due to the fact that I went to school outside of Prince George’s County. So it would take us about 35 minutes to get to my school an 35 minutes to get back, 5 days a week. During those rides to school I was taking in so muhc music on my iPod. But, even earlier than that, my mom would play a lot of Jay-Z, DMX, and Jill Scott … edited of course.

What do you think is your greatest accomplishment?

I haven’t had my greatest accomplishment yet. There’s so much ahead of me, I can confidently say I haven’t achieved it.

What advice do you have for others who want to start doing music?

Keeping a positive mindset is key. Keep a chip on your shoulder, but be hungry enough to eat that same chip. Hard work never hurt either.

How has this created connections for you personally and academically?

I’ve met genuinely good people, more than I would if I wasn’t doing music. I always see it as a positive when the area codes in my text messages are not 301, 240, 202 etc.

Is there anything else that you want people to know?

Where do I start? If you see me around, just walk up and talk to me, honestly. And I suggest you listen to all of my music before you pass judgement – I consider myself a versatile artist with many sounds. I’ve been called the Dos Equis man of our time as a live performer. Thanks to anyone who has ever clicked play.

Links:

Soundcloud

Twitter

notacollective.com

Kelsey is a junior at Towson University. She is a mass communications major with tracks in public relations, advertising, and journalism and minoring in marketing. Kelsey loves One Direction, 80s movies, K-pop, and makeup. She spends her spare time watching Asian dramas, writing, googling random things, and searching for the next makeup product she wants from Sephora. Other than studying and writing for Her Campus, Kelsey likes to go to new cities and attend as many concerts as she can. She is also currently nursing a broken heart due to Zayn Malik. Twitter: @kelseyjswann Instagram: @kelsey.swann