Maya Argano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.
Imagine getting to visit a beautiful country for free. If you go on a Birthright trip to Israel, you can. Birthright is a free, 10-day-long trip to Israel for young-adults whose ages range from 18-26. Elementary Education major Maya Argano, junior, recently went on a Birthright trip and said, “It is an experience of a lifetime and was the greatest 10 days of my life!” Her Campus Towson interviewed Maya about her time in Israel. 

HerCampusTowson: When did you go on Birthright? Did you feel safe traveling in Israel because of the ongoing conflict with Gaza/Hamas?

Maya Argano: I went this past summer on July 7th. This was just the start of the ongoing conflict between Israel and Gaza/Hamas. With everything that was going on, I wouldn’t have wanted any other people by my side other than those in my Birthright group. Other than the forty of us, we had multiple soldiers and staff who made sure we were safe and protected at all times, and were always there to reassure us that things would be okay; which it was. Although family and friends back home were terrified and wanted me to come home, I felt as safe in Israel as I am here in America. Some of our plans got cancelled and/or switched around but we continued on and got to experience everything firsthand as the people who live here day in and day out.

HCTU: Have you ever been to Israel before Birthright or was this your first time there?

MA: I’ve been to Israel about eight times before my Birthright trip but that didn’t stop me from having an amazing time. Although I ventured and explored most of the places during Birthright before with my family, I never quite experienced it the way I had on Birthright. Plus, going to Israel gets better and better every time you go!

HCTU: Where in Israel do you go throughout Birthright? Is it just centered in one part of Israel or do you go all around the country?

MA: It is mainly touring all of the big cities and places throughout Israel. We ventured from Tel Aviv to Tiberias, and then from Tiberias to Jerusalem. After Jerusalem we were supposed to head back over to Tel Aviv but because of the situation that was going on we ended up being one of the first groups to go to Eilat which is like the Las Vegas/Atlantic City of Israel. After Eilat we went down South and stayed in the Bedouin tents and went to the Dead Sea!

HCTU: Do you have any advice for people who are considering going on Birthright?

MA: The biggest advice I have for people considering going is to not plan to go with a huge group of friends or people that they know. When you are on Birthright you will meet and gain 30-40 new friends who will become your family and who you will still be in contact with for the rest of your life! My other advice is to prepare for the best days of your life! 

HCTU: How would someone go about applying for Birthright?

MA: They can get in contact with me at margan1@students.towson.edu to learn more information about it, or register at mayanotisrael.com
The Winter session registration is opening in just two days! And the summer registration will be opening in February!

HCTU: Anything else you want HCTU to know about you? 

MA: I am a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi at Towson.

Junior at Towson University. Political Science major, Mass Communication minor. Raised Right. Lover of all things figure skating, the Baltimore Ravens, coffee and mixed drinks. Twitter: @Melliiisssaaaa Instagram: @Melliiissssaaaaa