toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Hello, procrastinators of the college world! As Halloween is quickly approaching and everyone struggles to finish their last midterm, finding a costume is getting more and more stressful as the days without sleep add up. If you’re struggling to figure out who or what to be this year, here a couple of last minute Halloween costume ideas to get the creative and money-saving juices flowing:

Rosie the Riveter

This classic symbol of the feminist movement is a strong way to start off the list! As one of my costumes for this year, it can easily be thrown together with things you already have in your closet. Here’s what you’ll need:

• A denim shirt
  • A red bandana
  • Some red lipstick
  • A bunch of bobby pins

Just do a pin curl in the front, pin the rest of your hair up, and tie a neat bandana around all of it! I’m matching the rest of the outfit with a white bralette, leggings, and my navy high-tops. For makeup, throw on some sharp wings and the red lip and you’re set. Simple, strong, and classy!

Risky Business

Although it can be very cliché, Tom Cruise circa Risky Business is always an easy go-to. All you’ll need is:

• A white button down shirt
  • Some black RayBan style sunglasses
  • White crew socks
  • A candlestick holder

Top it off with a cute up-do and wear some spandex shorts or boxers underneath and white sneakers for walking to and from your spooky destination and you’ve nailed it. If you do this one though, please make sure to sit down and watch the movie first though. Knowing the character’s personality and mannerisms will make you stand out from the rest of the Risky Business crowd!

Frida Kahlo

Be original! Frida was a famous Mexican painter known for her self-portraits which scream feminism and grace. You’ll need the following:

• A flower crown/flowers to put in your hair
  • Some bobby pins
  • An eyebrow pencil
  • Some authentic clothes

All you’ll need to do is take a peak at her self-portraits (which you should take a second to do whether or not you decide to dress up as her), take inspiration from her style, and put your own personal twist on it! She said about herself, “I am the person I know best.” You can pay homage to this inspirational woman this Halloween and have fun while doing it!

Any Animal

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Throw on some ears, some matching clothes, and do your makeup just right and you’ll be the cutest animal in the jungle. This year, some friends and I are all doing this for a night and we’re calling ourselves “The Party Animals.” Here are a few of our costumes:

• A mouse
  • A rabbit
  • A cat
  • A giraffe
  • A tiger
  • A bear
  • A unicorn

Strangely enough, the unicorn is a guy. All of us have our ears and matching tails that we got from Party City for a bargain and a color-matched outfit! This one is easy to plan and pull off, especially if you’re scrambling the day before to find something simple. For inspiration, go on YouTube and watch any of the makeup tutorials for animals and you’ll find the right creature that fits you, guaranteed.

Wednesday Addams

This recognizable character is a sure-fire way to save you money this year. All you’ll need is:

• A black dress
  • A white collared button-up shirt
  • Black tights
  • Black shoes

Braid your hair into pigtails, put on the dress with the white button-down underneath and some tights, and do some dark eye makeup and you’re set! Don’t forget to wear the brooding look she’s infamous for too.

Mary Poppins

Again, a very recognizable costume to wear while going out, Mary Poppins is a classic that is sure to win over peoples’ hearts. You’ll need:

• A button-down white shirt
  • A black skirt
  • Black tights and flats
  • A black bowler hat
  • A red bow-tie
  • Some red lipstick

Simple, yet sophisticated. If you don’t have any of these things, check your local Goodwill or thrift shop.

Ventriloquist

I know this sounds super out there, but it’s actually super cute! It uses pretty much the same things as the Mary Poppins costume, too, minus the hat. Or you could even put your own twist on the outfit! This one is very abstract, meaning you can do anything you want with it. So be creative! Here’s a makeup tutorial to help you get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbGfWavK1Sw.

Any Decade

Raid a parent’s closet. Hit up some Goodwills near you. Go to Halloween shops near you. I can guarantee you can fabricate something stereotypical for one of the decades in the past. Here are examples of looks from each decade you could pull off:

• 1920’s: Flapper Girl or Mafia Gangster
  • 1940’s: Vintage Flight Attendant or Wartime Woman (channel Rosie the Riveter)
  • 1950’s: Pink Lady or Greaser
  • 1960’s: Hippie
  • 1970’s: Disco Diva or Rocker
  • 1980’s: Fitness Girl or just lots of random neon
  • 1990’s: Clueless or Grunge
  • 2000’s: think Mean Girls, Lizzie McGuire, and any early Disney DCOM fashion

To really top off the costumes of each decade, make sure that with whichever one you pick, you know some of the lingo of the times! It’ll help complete the personality of the entire look.

Jane is a sophomore at Towson, studying Anthropology and International Studies. She loves photography, her dogs, Hemingway, and studying cultures. She has an irrational fear of Abraham Lincoln and an unconditional love for playing Sudoku at all hours of the day.
Her Campus

Towson '25