How to Love Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

A huge difference between college and high school relationships is that you can see each other so much more while you’re in college. In high school, you saw your significant other during the school day and during other activities. In college, you’re on the same campus, live near each other, if you go to the same school, and ultimately have no parents there to set curfews or make rules. This makes having a relationship possibly a 24/7 thing. It’s not hard to spend every waking moment, ever meal, and every night with your significant other. This may be why college relationships are so much more serious than high school relationships, besides the fact that you are now older.

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, it’s important to take care of yourself first. You have to remember that you’re in college for a reason; you have responsibilities and classes to attend. Its great if you find a partner, or someone you can picture yourself having a serious relationship with, but there’s other things you must keep in mind too.

College is about making friends, learning more about yourself and what you want to do, and blossoming into an adult. College is our last hurrah before becoming real, working adults. Whether you’re in a relationship or not, make sure you make time for yourself, your friends, and your work.

Making time for you is so important. You don’t realize that you spend so much time with other people that alone time is scarce. Alone time can be a few personal hours where you read a magazine, catch up on TV shows, or paint your nails. The down time is good for you, and good for all of your relationships.

Friends are the greatest part of college. You meet the most amazing people, create bonds, and meet a diverse group you will most likely stay in contact with. Be friendly to everyone, you never know what will happen or where that person will go. Friends are the people that are always there for you and want to help you. That being said, be willing to help friends. You each posses different talents that the other may find valuable.

Making time for your work is extremely important. Once you fall behind you have to play catch up, which is difficult when you have roughly five classes. Stay on top of homework, quizzes, and tests for class; you don’t want to have to cram last minute. If you have a job, make sure you schedule your homework, social life, and work hours. You will need to find a balance between everything.

The most difficult part of college is finding a time and place for everything. You may think you have a handle on scheduling your time out but that is not always the case. Aside from classes, you have nothing else to really do. That leaves the rest of the day to goof off and waste time. You might have activities and meals planned with people but there needs to be time for work.

Loving yourself may sound simple but its so easy to overlook. Take some time every week to dedicate to yourself. Whether it be pampering, doing homework, hanging out with friends, or anything easy. The benefits will be shown in the end.

Easy ways to love yourself: 

1. Bubble Baths 

2. Catch up on movies or shows. 

3. Fun Manicures

4. Indulge Yourself (Baking or Eating) 

5. SLEEP

Emily is a sophomore at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism. She enjoys writing, listening to music, and going to concerts. She writes for Towson's newspaper (www.thetowerlight.com), on Tumblr (www.emilyimagines.tumblr.com), or on her Twitter (@dinoemmie). This is her second year on the HCTU staff and she is currently Vice President, She also enjoys creating graphics, marketing, and advertising. Emily aspires to be a magazine editor.