mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Home for Summer with Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With summer break right around the corner, it’s time to accept that it’s time to go home. Sadly this means it is time to pack up everything that you have adorned your room with and go back to the parents. However, there are some things that will be deeply missed once you are back under the same roof as your parents.

FREEDOM.

How many of us have gone out one night and came home way past 1am? I know most of the times I go out, I’m not walking back into the house until about 3AM…but will my parents be fine with me walking in and out whenever? NO. They’ll be asking where, when, with whom, and for how long? I’m sorry did you miss the last 5 months when you knew nothing about my whereabouts? Let’s be honest, this will be the most irritating thing to deal with at home.

PARTYING.

This is mainly for the individuals who have been going out, enjoying college life and all the party scene has to offer. I’m not sure about anyone else’s hometown, but mine is NOT party central. There aren’t bars right down the street, college night at clubs, or any clubs around for that matter. What do you do if you just want to go out and dance for a night — or if you want a night on the town with drinks and your girls?  Some students are partying twice a wee — how will their parents feel about their “angel” going out to “twerk” at parties? Most parents are oblivious to the “extracurricular activities” of their children.

DORM LIFE.

If you were living in the dorms, there was always something that kept you busy or gave you something to do. You could easily walk to your friend’s room right down the hall or some floors away. Some of the best memories happen in dorm rooms. There was also a community lounge to go hang out or play games in. But with everyone packing up to go home, there will be no more walking down the hall or going down the elevator to see your friends. It’s now a car ride, or if it’s too far away, a phone call. This will be one of the most annoying things if you became best friends with someone from another state, because that everyday face-to-face connection will become phone calls, texts, snapchats and maybe Facetime.

CLASSES.

Who wouldn’t miss waking up early to go to classes, taking a test you’re unprepared for, surprise quizzes and doing homework? Wait — nevermind, that’s the main reason we love summer break!

Don’t worry about going home and missing everything previously mentioned, because it will all be back in a couple of months. If we can make it through horrible classes and ridiculous parking, I’m sure we can make it through about three months under our parent’s constant supervision, right? Let’s hope so! For now, enjoy the time you have left and continue making some memories, because it’s not over until you’re kicked out of your dorm! Earn those tiger stripes!