Freshman Diary: Why I’m Glad I Joined Her Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

At the beginning of the summer I began to freak out about college. I was so nervous about moving in, liking my roommate, making friends, succeeding in my classes, getting lost, liking the food, liking my professors…the list is endless. In order to help calm myself down, I began to read Her Campus. The style of writing ranged from humorous to serious to helpful, so I could always find an article to enjoy no matter what I was in the mood for. The articles I read made college feel so much less scary. So, when I went to Towson’s involvement fair and saw an HCTU table, I had to investigate! Here are my top five reasons why I’m glad I joined Her Campus.

1) Community

I’ve only known the other members of HCTU for a short while, but I can already tell that I’m going to really enjoy their company. Every time I meet with the team, I have a great time. Everyone is so friendly, funny and sweet!

2) Something Familiar

Since I started reading Her Campus before I got to college, I already knew what the website was like and the type of content that was published. So many things changed once I moved into college, so it was nice finding something that was familiar to me.

3) Passion for Writing

I absolutely love to write! I’m a dancer, so I don’t get a lot of time to write in my free time. I’m so thrilled that I found a way to get involved on campus and pursue my affinity for writing.

4) Flexible Hours

A lot of the clubs I was looking into had meetings at inconvenient times. Some required you to meet multiple times a week; others had crazy requirements that needed to be met in order to be considered an active member. HCTU is different. We have one weekly meeting, and apart from that, I get to decide when I’m involved. I write my articles on my own time, when it’s best for me and my schedule. I don’t know of many other clubs that function like this.  

5) Support the Publication’s Ideas

Lastly, I am a huge fan of Her Campus. There are very few, if any, articles that I disagree with. The publication is wholesome, helpful, and progressive. The content tackles numerous and varied topics that need to be addressed. They help make college life easier for young women, and more importantly, they help us understand ourselves, the world, and adulthood.