A Few Tips To Make It Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With the semester coming to a close, projects and tests seem to be at an all time high. It seems like professors just don’t understand exactly how much work we have to endure.  Though all of this work can seem intimidating there is a way to get through it without driving yourself crazy first.  

Get organized

There is nothing worse than realizing that you have a 600-word paper due the day before.  I have found it helpful to take a look at each class schedule and write down when your big assignments are due.  A calendar or planner can help with this.  If you are able to see when each assignment is due, there will be no surprises or last minute rushing.

Plan ahead

It is always a good idea to begin studying for your tests at least a week in advance.  Nothing is worse than having to pull an all-nighter with coffee in hand to prepare for a final.  Giving yourself ample time to study each day can relieve you of major stress not to mention improving your grades!

Avoid cramming

Cramming is a short-term memory technique that many of us are guilty of.  Studies show that this type of studying for an exam can have a direct negative effect on your grade.   We all know that sometime waiting until the last moment to study is inevitable, but you should not make cramming a routine.  If you have a chance to study in advance, do it!  More than likely you will see better results.

Get sleep

Sleep is something that college students never get enough of.  But before a test or big presentation sleep can help you avoid unnecessary stress.   Many students do not understand that staying up late the night before an exam trying to study the last few bits of information can do more harm than good.  Studies show that most students forget 40-60 percent of the information they study when they don’t get the proper rest. Not getting enough sleep can also weaken your immune system, making you susceptible to catching a cold and in turn elevating your stress levels

Take some time out for yourself

Attend an on-campus event, go to the movies, grab something to eat at your favorite restaurant, or do all of the above.  It is important to give your brain a well deserved break from intense studying.  Non-stop working can drive anyone crazy!

Picture your success when it’s all over

Just think, in a couple of days this will all be over.  Some stress cannot be avoided during these challenging times but imagining how amazing you will feel after seeing that “A” plastered at the top of your paper can be quite encouraging.

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.