Don’t Get SAD This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

According to the Mayo Clinic, “Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons.” It is most often experienced in the winter. The shorter days and less sunlight can cause a drop in the body’s levels of serotonin, which acts as a mood stabilizer. In addition, fewer hours of sulight can disrupt the body’s circadian rhythym, or natural clock, which can lead to feelings of depression.

If you struggle with SAD, there are many simple things you can do to make the winter a happier time.

Go Outside

Even if it’s a cloudy day, the sun is still there! Go outside and make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin D. 

Exercise Regularly

The benefits of exercise are so incredibly plentiful. Not only will you feel physically better, but the endorphins you get from exercise will make you happier, too.

Let in Light

Open curtains and blinds to let in natural sunlight. If possible, sit by a window.

Support

A good support system is necessary during a hard time. Reach out to friends and family for encouragement. You aren’t alone!

Take Supplements

Fish Oil and Omega-3 fatty acids have been found to restore chemical imbalances in some patients. St. John’s Wort has be found to help depression. Consult your doctor before you begin taking supplements.

Light Box Therapy

A light box, also known as a bright light therapy box or a phototherapy box, is an easy and effective way to treat SAD. The box’s light imitates natural sunlight. To use it, you just sit under the light. Consult your doctor to see if this is the right treatment option for you.

Antidepressants

If other treatment methods do not help, antidepressants might. Talk with your doctor to see if they’re right for you.