Campus Celebrity: Karla Gonzalez

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

“Let go of everything then you have bliss.”

Meet Karla Gonzalez! She is a Sophomore Sports Management major!

What do you do?

“I am a hostess at La Tolteca and I do before and after School care at the YMCA. I also am a recruiting assistant for Towson university football and a founding sister of Delta Phi Epsilon.”

When did you start doing it? 

“I started working at La Tolteca in the spring of my senior year, with the YMCA the fall of my freshman year in college, football the spring semester of my freshman year & DPhiE the beginning of March!”

What sparked your interest?

“Well for football it goes along with my major and I was interested in working for a football team after college. And my sorority I wanted to feel apart of something since I do commute, I wanted to make more friends on campus.”
How can someone else get involved with this activity?

“Not even just DPhiE, but all of Greek life offerers great opportunities. So if someone were interested I would suggest going to any events that are held on campus or contact the Greek life office! I have so many opportunies for community service, leadership and fun! One of the best decisions I’ve made was joining a sorority!”

Do you have any tips for someone wanting to get involved?

“Put yourself out there and don’t be afraid to be yourself! You’ll find your place and the people who you vibe with whether it be a club sports team, and academic club or a club about something you are interested in!”

How has this created connections for you personally/ How has it made you grow as a person?

“In terms of football, I’ve made a lot of friends and have made connections with people that can help my in my future career. It has helped me become even more outgoing because I have to talk to high school boys and parents about school and football and answer any questions they have. A lot of times they are nervous and don’t want to talk so I have to spark conversations with them. And with this and becoming more outgoing, I was able to be my true self and really find my home in DPhiE. All the girls are amazing and motivate me to be my best self and they love with their full hearts and they love you regardless of what you look like or how you act. They really are amazing and I couldn’t ask for a better group of girls to grow with and to become successful with.”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“Hopefully I’ll be working for a sports team or somehow in sports and start working my way up to becoming an athletic director/working for the NCAA! I’m a go with the flow kind of person so whatever opprotunies come my way I’ll take advantage of!”

What do you want people to take away from this interview?

“I would like people to see that it’s definitely possible to multitask first of all, since I do work 3 jobs and have a 45 minute commute. And with multitasking, you can be involved and be social and have friends and not just go to school and leave. Also I want people to realize their full potential and know that there is a home for everyone, you just may have to look a little deeper.”
Thank you Karla, HCXO!
MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.