10 TV Shows to Watch During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With Spring Break around the corner, it is very easy to stress over the fact that you don’t have plans. Whether it is due to lack of planning, financial trouble, or elements out of your control, spring break does not have to be a boring time for you. Since I wrote 10 reasons Netflix was better than boys for Valentine’s Day, I figured I would follow up with ten television shows you can watch during the break.

1. Bates Motel. Everyone knows what happened in Psycho, but this chilling series takes viewers inside Norman Bates’ world before Marion Crane checked in. The story opens following Mr. Bates’ death, as Norman and his mother buy the motel that will bear their name. I binge-watched “Bates Motel” late this past Friday and was finished the entire first season by Saturday afternoon. It is completely addicting with a juicy, ever-developing plot, great characters, and breath-catching acting. Season 2 premiered on A&E on March 3rd, so if you want to quickly catch up before strapping in for the ride of the second season, I definitely suggest doing so.  I’m crossing my fingers that the show doesn’t lose it’s steam because it is definitely one of my new favorites. 
  2. The Tudors. All the splendor and scandal of England’s 16th-century royal court comes to life in this series that follows notorious Tudor monarch Henry VIII. The king often lets his passions rule, making for one of the most tumultuous periods of the throne. If you’re into historical drama – particularly the Tudor Period like I am – this series is for you. There are four seasons packed with the dramatized retelling of the exciting life that Henry VIII and his court led. There is sex, drama, violence, acts of treason, ridiculous charges for crimes, and most importantly, the dumbed down explanation behind Henry VIII breaking away from the Catholic Church that I never quite understood when we talked about it in history class. Even though it is historical (not necessarily historically accurate), it’s not boring in any way shape or form. It also features a few of my favorite (not to mention incredibly good looking) actors like Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Dracula) and Henry Cavill (Man of Steel).
  3. Borgia. The name Borgia stands for betrayal, intrigue and corruption in the Vatican, which was the center of the world during the Renaissance. Rodrigo Borgia — later Pope Alexander VI — embodied the spirit of the time with its unimaginable contradictions. This is not to be confused with the Showtime original series, “The Borgias.” Another historical drama, “Borgia” tells the tale of Rodrigo Borgia, the ruthless Catholic pope whose reign was the most infamous chapter of the Catholic Church. Once again, there are a ton of sex, violence, ridiculous punishments, and incredible acting in this historical drama that is a Netflix Original TV Series. Season 3, the final season, is currently in production, and I am sure it will bring an incredible end to this period drama.
  4. House of Cards. Three Emmy Award wins including David Fincher (“The Social Network”) for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series and nine nominations including Outstanding Drama Series went to this acclaimed political thriller. Lead Actor nominee Kevin Spacey stars as ruthless, cunning Congressman Francis Underwood, who will stop at nothing to conquer the halls of power in Washington D.C. His secret weapon: his gorgeous, ambitious, and equally conniving wife Claire (Lead Actress nominee Robin Wright). This political drama is a fan-favorite amongst the Netflix community. It stands out for handling real issues in politics and features dramatized, entertaining retellings of said events. Parts of the movie were filmed in Baltimore and D.C. and many Towson alum work on the movie.
  5. American Horror Story. Exploring humankind’s unsettling capacity for evil, this darkly twisted drama plays upon the power of supernatural fears and everyday horrors. Each season brings back familiar faces, but they’re playing different characters in an all-new setting. I am a HUGE fan of AHS. Season one remains my favorite and season two my least favorite, but now that seasons three is over, I am sure it will be added to Netflix soon for all to see. It features some famous faces like Connie Britton and Jessica Lange, but their star power does not make creator Ryan Murphy draw away from making whoever he casts perform to the best of their ability, providing us, the viewers, with the most terrifying yet addicting television series of this millennium. The thing I like best about AHS is that it is more visually disturbing than it is scary…but I still don’t advise watching it at night.
  6. Breaking Bad. Emmy winner Bryan Cranston stars as Walter White, a high school science teacher who learns that he has terminal lung cancer and teams with a former student to manufacture and sell high-quality crystal meth to secure his family’s future. This is another show that I plan to watch myself, but all five critically acclaimed seasons live forever on Netflix, so they are yours for the taking. I have heard nothing but good things about this series from friends that I know who have watched it, and who doesn’t love a man who would do anything to make sure his family will be set? (I do not condone selling meth.)
  7. Orange Is the New Black. From the creator of “Weeds” comes a heartbreaking and hilarious new series set in a women’s prison. Piper Chapman’s wild past comes back to haunt her, resulting in her arrest and detention in a federal penitentiary. To pay her debt to society, Piper trades her comfortable New York life for an orange prison jumpsuit and finds unexpected conflict and camaraderie amidst an eccentric group of inmates. I am not going to lie – OITNB takes a long time to get its wings in the air. The first few episodes make me chuckle here and there, but once got through it and realized that I never wanted to go to prison – especially not a women’s penitentiary – I thoroughly enjoyed the series. This is another popular Netflix Original TV Series, and with its second season premiering June 6th, it is not difficult to assume that this series will continue to have success. 
  8. Dexter. By day, mild-mannered Dexter is a blood-splatter analyst for the Miami police. But at night, he is a serial killer who only targets other murderers. I have only seen bits and pieces of this wildly successful Showtime original television series, but I know enough about it to know that I want to watch it sometime in the near future. With brilliant writing and superior acting, every episode of Dexter is a challenging, eye-covering treat to watch. This show is not for those who have weak stomachs or an aversion to bad guys getting killed. Eight seasons of bloody goodness are yours to do whatever you wish with.
  9. That ‘70s Show. Feel groovy with this hit sitcom set in 1970s suburbia, where teenager Eric Forman and his pals hang in his parents’ basement, listening to (not-yet) classic rock and indulging other, ahem, hazy benefits of ’70s culture. I know it seems silly to recommend this series, but there are hundreds of people in this world who have never given this brilliant television show the time of day. It’s funny, heartbreaking, and a tear-jerking good time with Topher Grace, Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, Laure Prepon, and Wilmer Valderrama before they all got their big breaks. This show had a great set, costumes, and an interesting plot for every single episode, all the way into the end. After watching all eight seasons, I’m sure you will feel like you grew up in the wrong decade, just like I did.
  10.  The Walking Dead. In the wake of a zombie apocalypse that desolates the world as we know it, a group of survivors led by police officer Rick Grimes holds on to the hope of humanity by banding together to wage a never-ending fight for their own survival. This is another series that I have not watched but I am not sure if I want to watch it. If you are into apocalyptic shows with zombies and things of that nature, this is completely for you. TWD has a large fanbase and is still cranking out episodes with three seasons on Netflix, the fourth currently airing, and a fifth season soon to be in pre-production.

If you have any other shows you have in mind that you want people to watch, feel free to post in the comment box below! And if you don’t have Netflix yet, you’re doing college wrong. Netflix is just so… perfect.

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.