Why Eagles Fans Are The G.O.A.T.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I’ve lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life. My father never let me believe anything but that the Philadelphia Eagles were the best football team in the country.

I spent countless Sundays watching the Eagle’s games with family and friends. Due to Philadelphia football fandom insanity things can get overboard and because of that, my parents never let me attend a game.

On Sunday, when I attended my first Eagles tailgate, the once seemingly strange restriction  became strikingly evident.

Residents of Minnesota area were heavily advised not to wear their Vikings gear for the game this past Sunday. Truthfully, I was scared for people wearing anything but green and black on. It was a roar of “choice” words and a sea of alcoholic beverages being thrown in Minneapolis fan’s faces.

Someone not from the city might find the action’s of fans violent but, I found it to be “savage”, passionate, and spirited. Once you arrive to Lincoln Financial Field everything you once knew about manners gets shattered.

Seriously – it’s a free for all.

Although I was not one to participate in the rude behavior, it added to the excitement of the game and I was able to find a new love for sporting events.

Unfamiliar faces become family on game day. Hours before the coin flips, Philadelphia sports fans have a completely different attitude than the typical private, rude vibe on any given weekday morning in center city.

I don’t know if it’s something is in the cheesesteaks and pretzels, the good vibes all around, or just the confidence Eagle’s fans have in their team but, Philadelphians are the most loyal citizens when The Birds are on.

If you didn’t understand why Philly was considered the city of brotherly love, you will once you attend a game. Hugging, chanting, sharing are just a few caring activities among the fans.

You will never find an experience like an Eagles game, especially if they win. The team didn’t even win The Super Bowl yet, and still Temple students rushed the streets of Broad Street and rioted all the way down to City Hall (two miles) and back. City Hall was filled with fans and music was bumping in honor of the sports team. As a member of that insanity, I can assure that there was an electricity among the fandom. It was a feel-good, fuzzy feeling that united the city.

Losers not apart of the “bird-gang” don’t get Philadelphians mama-bear-behavior. When you mess with our boys, you’re gonna get punched and/or harassed. Don’t be shocked, it’s part of the culture and the loyalty we have to the team.

Even local donut shops have stopped selling Boston-Creme flavored treats for the upcoming Super Bowl.

After tailgating I noticed this is far more than a game or a sport, it’s a bonafide relationship that brings 1.57 million people together.  Philly is knee-deep in passion and for that, we are indeed the G.O.A.T sports fans.

– Olivia Falcone