What To Expect From Mockingjay Part I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Tis the season! For snow? Of course not, The Hunger Games, obviously! The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 comes out November 21st and here is your guide to everything you need to know about the much-anticipated film.

This movie is just part one of the heart-wrenching conclusion of The Hunger Games series, and just like Harry Potter, you are afraid of the end because you know what’s coming. Or at least you do if you read the books. The official Hunger Games YouTube channel has been releasing TV-clips and previews for the movie for about a month now. With each new clip the movie seems more daunting and action packed as ever. However, if you want the real feel of Panem you should turn to the CapitolTV videos and the tweets of @TheCapitolPN

These videos are made to make the viewer feel like they are the citizens of Panem, and they do a great job at it, one word comes to mind about these videos and that is fear. Props to Katniss Everdeen and her Capitol fighting crew for taking on President Snow.

Again, the movie officially comes out on November 21, but the grand World Premiere tour kicked off this week in London on November 10. Articles about the premieres have consisted of outfit choices and wardrobe malfunctions, but the important parts are the questions the stars have answered.  

Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence all said they would have loved to play Haymitch if they could choose any other character but their own. According to an interview with Radiotimes.com, Francis Lawrence, the movies director, said that Jennifer had to sing “The Hanging Tree,” ballad for the movie and shed some tears before doing so because she was that nervous.

If you don’t remember, “The Hanging Tree” is a song taught to Katniss by her father before his death. Katniss learned the song at a young age and was told to forget it by her mother but memorized every single word after her father’s death. She learned later in life that the song is about a dead man calling to a lover to join him in death. But the true revelation comes when Katniss realizes that death would be a better fate than being captured and tortured by The Capitol. Up until that article, I didn’t think they were going to put in the song but then again, how good would The Hunger Games have been without Rue’s Lullaby. However, the most important interview to date is what Jennifer Lawrence told Cineplex. She said, “It’s a really great ending, and you guys are going to be pissed.” Mtv did a great job of trying to guess what this great and piss-worthy ending would be. Sound off in the comments below on what you think the ending will be! 

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.