Temple Football Stadium: Necessary or Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Temple Football has had a historic season. This year alone they have managed to beat Penn State University for the first time in 74 years, start their season 7-0 for the first time in program history and host their first ever college game day against Notre Dame, along with many other accomplishments.  Now at a respectable 8-2, Temple’s football team will possibly be receiving a new home.

The proposed 35,000-seat, 100-million-dollar stadium has been a hot topic for Temple students, alumni, and local residents. The stadium would be built near McGonigle Hall at 15th Street and Montgomery.  An on-campus stadium in a major city is exciting to some, and concerning for others.

In an article posted in the Philadelphia Inquirer, President of Temple University, Neil Theobald describes why a new stadium is a “natural step”.  He notes that a stadium would employ hundreds of workers for construction purposes, vending, security, and other stadium jobs. He attempts to ease financial concerns by explaining, “The simple fact is that the fund-raising we have completed to date is not available to us unless we build a stadium.”

He also states that rental payments made to Lincoln Financial Field would shift over to mortgage payments on a new stadium. Theobald also cites momentum when making the case for an on-campus stadium. He writes, “A new, on-campus football stadium is a logical next step not only for football, but—in my view—for one of the nation’s leading urban research universities located in one the nation’s great cities.”

A large concern of those opposed to an on-campus stadium is the impact of the local neighborhood that surrounds Temple University. Temple student Olivia Farkas believes, “(The stadium) has potential to affect the Temple community in a really great way, but it also has equal opportunity to negatively hurt the Philadelphia community, which is much larger, disadvantaged, and more deeply-rooted than Temple’s student community.”

President Theobald also addresses the issue, but believes that Temple University can work with neighbors and the City Council in order to make sure all parties are satisfied. He also notes that Temple has a history of accommodating a large number of people from many different locations. With the help of SEPTA, Temple’s Regional Rail System, and other transportation services, Theobald believes Temple is up for the challenge.

Temple University’s application rates are reaching high numbers, and their open houses are receiving record-breaking visits. As Theobald describes, Temple is “red-hot.” Those in favor of a new stadium argue that a stadium is the obvious choice for a school that is athletically, academically, and nationally on the rise. Temple University currently hosts their home games at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Farkas argues that “The Linc” makes Temple Football special. “I believe a lot of people apply to Temple to begin with to experience football games at Lincoln Financial Field. Temple has also always been able to have a unique college experience by utilizing this professional, nation-wide stadium for our games. That’s one of many things that makes Temple special and different from any other college,” Farkas states.

Critics of the proposed stadium wonder why Temple cut seven athletic teams in Feb. of 2014 if they are willing to spend a large amount on a stadium for solely one Temple Athletic team. In such a compact, dense, and busy city, a question arises: Is it realistic to build a 35,000-seat stadium in the middle of North Philadelphia?

Farkas asserts, “Yes, it’s completely realistic. If Temple wants it to happen, it will happen, unless there is substantial resistance within the Temple community.”

Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.