To Make the Move or to Not Make the Move: A Guide To Moving Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As fall semester comes to an end, many students have to make a tough decision about staying on or off campus. This decision is most difficult for students who are finishing their freshman year.

While many freshmen are quick to want to move off campus right away, there are many factors to weigh in on this decision.

“I feel like it’s hard to find a cheap apartment that is still close enough to campus where it feels safe,” Erin Sharkey, a freshman at Temple University, said.

There are various pros and cons to dorm and off campus living.

Moving off campus will definitely give you more freedom. For starters, you won’t have to worry about the guest policy. In the dorms, your guests have to be over 18 years old and you are only permitted to have one guest overnight.

“The guest policy here at Temple is annoying. The fact that I have to sign in my friends every time I bring them into the building, even if it’s just for a minute, is really inconvenient,  ” Sharkey added.

Not having to worry about how many people can crash at your pad is a benefit to moving off campus. Additionally, not having to worry about RAs, room checks, and other inconveniences is a bonus.

Renting your own home or apartment seems like a no brainer. There are, however, some drawbacks to consider.

Off-campus housing is usually much farther away from campus than the dorms, and you’ll have to give yourself more time to walk to class.

Another con to moving off campus is cleanliness. While not having to worry about communal bathrooms seems great, cleaning your own bathroom isn’t so great.

“My one roommate doesn’t ever help clean the bathroom, which is disgusting,” an anonymous sophomore at Temple said.

Living off campus can also cause tension between your friends, and no RA is present to help resolve a dispute.

Furthermore, in terms of cost, off-campus housing is usually cheaper and you’ll have your own bedroom, but you need to be careful of high utility costs creeping up on you. Leaving electronics plugged in wastes energy, and you have to be aware of appliances that are not as economical as others.

“Paying for electricity makes you more conscious of when you have lights on. You have to remember to turn everything off if you’re going away for the weekend,” Jillian Horst, a freshman at Temple living off campus, said.

Leases also typically last for an entire year, so if you don’t plan on staying in your home or apartment over the summer, you’ll still have to pay your monthly rent.

Depending on your circumstance and your personal preferences, finding your own place may or may not prove to be worth it. If you feel ready to take the plunge, make sure you keep these factors in mind.

Horst advised, “As long as you have a solid group of friends and have done enough research, moving off campus is a good choice.”

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.