HCTU’s Guide to Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
It’s that infamous time of the semester again. The Tech Center is filled with students cramming for their exams. Papers upon papers are piling up. Professors are giving more work than ever and we just want a break.

That break is finally here as Temple University is offering students a fall break this year.

From Monday, Nov. 24th until Nov. 28th, classes will not be held due to fall and holiday break. Last year, students only had off on Thursday and Friday the week of Thanksgiving.While lying and bed and binge-watching Netflix sounds appealing, there are many other things you can do as well. There are plenty of fun and relaxing ways students can revel in their first extended fall break. 

Visit old teachersSome people have the intention of visiting their old high school and teachers but never have time. This year, you have three extra days to make an effort!
Invite your friends over, make s’mores, and watch moviesWho doesn’t love marshmallows? Invite a few of your close friends over and watch whatever genre you’re in the mood for. Rom-com, anyone?
Take pictures
Sometimes the city can mask the beauty of fall. Go outside and take some nice pictures of the fall foliage. You might even take a few Instagram worthy photos! 
Go to your favorite restaurantI don’t know about you, but I am beyond sick of the food on Temple’s campus. Treat yourself and go to that restaurant you always went to as a kid and enjoy some delicious food. 
Visit your friendsIf any of your friends go to college in the area and aren’t on break yet, visit them. You could even try to surprise them if you’re feeling extremely adventurous.

Call your family and wish them a happy holiday Don’t lose sight on what this holiday is really about! Yes, we all get to eat excessive amounts of food, but we also should acknowledge what we’re thankful for. So give your grandparents, aunts, and cousins a call. You’ll feel good about it if you do! 
Bake or cook something to bring to Thanksgiving Yes, we would love to just eat food that someone else makes. But find an amazing recipe on Pinterest and give it a try. Who knows, you might discover your inner-chef.

Go Black Friday shopping Plan out what it is you want to buy ahead of time and try to save big, but beware of large crowds!

Write down a list of what you’re thankful for It might sound corny, but when the stress can get the best of you, it’s easy to forget that there are many things to be grateful for. It’s good to take time to reflect on the good things in your life and making this list won’t take long.
Clean your old roomIf you’re anything like me, you were in such a rush to get to school that you left your room at home a mess. Clean your room and get rid of clothes that don’t fit you anymore. 
Go to the gym and make room for all of the delicious Thanksgiving foodIt’s hard to make time for the gym when you’re drowning in homework. Over the break, take a few days to exercise and clear your mind. Plus, you’ll be indulging in Thanksgiving treats!

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.