This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The dark lip has made its way into mainstream culture yet again. The trend has been frequently in and out of style over the past 90 years or so, starting with the daring looks of the flappers in the 20s all the way to celebrities like Kylie Jenner and Rooney Mara sporting this sexy look.

In the 1920s, the idea of the “artificial face” was fairly new. Women were just beginning to experiment with different looks. Since lipstick colors were new (and fairly limited) dark red was the go-to along with a dark “smokey” eye and very pale skin.

After the ’20s, the dark lip seemed to disappear. The ’30s, ’40s and ’50s brought brighter colors including the classic red lip that was popularized by Marilyn Monroe.

It took a while, 70 years to be exact, for the dark lip to make its way back into the mainstream again. The 90s brought a different spin on the ’20s staple with berry and brown hues to go along with the classic dark red. Celebrities like Winona Ryder and Drew Barrymore made rocking the dark lip cool again.

The dark lip disappeared yet again in the early 2000s, but has resurfaced and is better than ever. Not only do you have red, berry, and brown hues, other colors such as black and dark blue made their way onto the runway. Here are some of the best dark lipsticks for anyone!

For the berry lip:

NYX Matte Lipstick in Siren

This berry shade is great for any complexion and the matte effect is perfect for darker shades. It’s also a bargain – only $5.99 at Ulta.

For the dark red lip:

Revlon Super Lustrous Black Cherry

I’ve used this shade for years now and I swear by it. If you’re looking to recreate a 1920s look or even if you want more of a sultry red, this is the shade for you.

For the dark brown lip:

Charlotte Tillbury Matte Revolution in Dark Brown

This is a little on the pricey side, but it’s definitely worth it if you’re looking for a high quality brown lipstick.

For the blue lip:

Maybelline Color Sensational Loaded Bold Lipstick in Midnight Blue

If you’re feeling daring, try this shade. It’s Maybelline, so you know it’s quality you can trust, but you also aren’t spending a lot on it if it doesn’t work out.

For the black lip:

Covergirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick in Perry Panther

Another mainstream cosmetic company that is creating bolder products is Covergirl. Try this shade for something daring and bold, plus black lipstick is just a lot of fun!

The dark lip has definitely come full circle at this point. From the dark lips of the 1920s to now, a lot has changed. One thing is for sure, the dark lip provides an effortlessly cool, fun and sexy look for anyone!

Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.