College “Memes”: Funny or Offensive?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Over the past few days, you might have seen some unusual things popping up on your Facebook news feed. The latest trend to hit the social media giant is fan pages for internet “memes” centered on different colleges.  Think of memes as inside jokes that only a select group of people will understand. The “Temple University Memes” site has only been live for a week and it already has over 6,000 likes.

People can submit their own “memes” to the page and, of course, read and comment on the postings of others. Topics on Temple’s page vary from other students’ actions in the TECH Center to common occurrences on campus. However, are these little inside jokes going from funny to offensive?

While some “memes” accurately reflect life at Temple, such as the e-mail from “the classmate you don’t know” and the “beep boop beep boop” sound you hear when you cross Broad Street, others present quite offensive ideas that negatively reflect the Temple community.

Some of the “memes” have begun to comment on the neighborhood surrounding the campus and the people living in it. One in particular has a small red box representing Temple in the center, surrounded by other sections titled “Murderton”, “Burglaryburg” and “Rapeville”. Most of these more offensive “memes” are submissions, rather than posts by the actual creators, but they still show up on the page.

Perhaps these new submissions are just from a selective few, but hopefully the page will soon return to a normal, source of entertainment for former, current, and future Owls.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!