A College Girl’s Guide to LUSH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Everybody needs a little LUSH in their life.  LUSH is a cosmetics store that is dedicated to the freshness and ethicality.  The company only uses the freshest ingredients in their handmade products.  The website states, “We Believe… in making effective products from fresh, organic fruit and vegetables, the finest oils and safe synthetics.”  Some of the products require refrigeration and must be used in a certain amount of time due to the freshness of the ingredients.  According to an article regarding the company’s values, it states that all of their products are 100% vegetarian and more than 80% of those are made with vegan ingredients. Even better, LUSH is cruelty free. They pledge to only buy their ingredients from companies that refrain from animal testing.  They are dedicated to fighting for animal rights while ensuring that their products are safe for customers with the use of alternative testing methods.  As part of their sustainability initiatives, they use “naked” packaging for some soap bars and bath bombs. This means that the product does not have any packaging. They also recycle their containers. If you take five of the containers back to the store, you will receive a free face mask. The employees are extremely helpful, so do not hesitate to ask questions. They will be able to pinpoint the perfect product just for you.

So, here is your guide to LUSH in the eyes of a few college girls.

Sarah Madaus, a freshman journalism major said, “I love LUSH. I’m all about their mission to have all sustainable, natural products that don’t test on animals. I’m willing to pay more for their products, knowing that they’re created with integrity. My favorite is the Catastrophe Cosmetic face mask. I have combination skin and I also get breakouts pretty easily. Using this product once a week keeps my skin even and bright. This is the only face mask that has actually worked, and since it smells beautiful, I’m not complaining!”

Becca Reis, a freshman biology major said, “My favorite LUSH product is Mask of Magnaminty because it clears up my skin and leaves me feeling refreshed after I use it.”

Grace Moyer, a student at Lehigh Carbon Community College, is an avid LUSH user. “I think LUSH is a fantastic store. I’ve never been disappointed with any of their products. A product I would recommend is any of their face masks. The very first time I used one of their face masks I felt the difference of my skin right away; it was amazing. The only thing I don’t really like about LUSH is their prices. It is pretty expensive, but then again all of their products are natural and fresh so it’s definitely worth it!”

A great product to try out is the Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub.  The product description on the website states, “the minerals in sea salt soften as it scrubs away dirt, dead skin, and blockages for a bright, fresh face.  We mix in fresh avocado and coconut to hydrate thirsty skin, leaving it balanced and soft.  The cleansing effects of lime and vodka are idea for blocked pores, blackheads, or blemishes and leave skin visibly brightened.”  The smell of this product is amazing.  I have purchased it several times and it’s never been a disappointment.  It is effective in softening your skin and leaving a smell of sea salt and lime.  Although the salt is rough on the skin, it allows for exfoliation in order to moisturize.

Stay away from the Volcano foot mask unless you want your feet smelling like tomatoes and potatoes.  I have never tried the foot care but could not stand the smell.  It seemed perfect to rid of roughness and moisturize my feet. But sadly, I was wrong.  It has a very strong, potent smell.  Even though it is only for the feet, I don’t think I could even stomach opening the container a second time. Hey, this foot care might be for some people, but the smell was just not for me.

Although I complain about some of the prices (because face it, I’m just a broke college girl), the products generally last for a long period of time and serve their purpose.  Put into a larger perspective, the price is worth the amount of uses you receive. Also, it is healthier to use products with fresh ingredients rather than those filled with harmful and unnatural chemicals. If you would like to try out the products the nearest locations are on Walnut Street and the King of Prussia Mall.  The Walnut Street location also contains a LUSH spa, so you can be pampered by some of their most noteworthy products.

Temple University '19. Journalism Major with a minor in Spanish. Instagram: Arogers523 | Twitter: alexismrogers
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.