Cheerleading’s Dangerous Effects on the Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Even though the National Collegiate Athletic Association, or the NCAA, does not list cheerleading as a sport, any cheerleader will fiercely argue the opposite. Cheerleading is one of the most rigorous and dangerous athletic activities in college, high school, and even middle school. It requires girls (and boys) to be in top physical condition in order to safely put together stunts. Even with proper strength, form, and safety standards, cheerleading still accounts for over half of “catastrophic injuries” to female athletes, according to an article by Lenny Bernstein of The Washington Post.

A study done by Nationwide Children’s Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital reported that the amount of cheerleading injuries nearly doubled from 1990 to 2002. Today’s cheerleaders have come a long way from the pom-pom shaking, cartwheeling girls of the 50’s. They perform outlandish stunts that can take days, or weeks, to perfect. The stunts require physical strength, focus, and an enormous degree of trust on all ends. Common injuries include plantar fasciitis, patellar tendonitis, ankle sprains, stress fractures, hip strains, and inflammation around the hips. The most serious injuries typically are the results of stunting, though some come from jumps and other tumbling.

Besides immediate injuries, cheerleading can have long-term effects on the body as well. Repetitive stress and trauma from jumps and stunts puts pressure on the spine, causing issues, even stress fractures. Many cheerleaders take advantage of chiropractic care. Repetitive trauma can also wreak havoc on the wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles. Nationwide Children’s states that “These types of injuries worsen in severity over time and can create long term loss of function.”

One of the most serious types of injuries that can come from cheerleading is a concussion. A local Atlanta news station reported that at the University of Georgia in 2012, the number of concussions was higher in cheerleaders than in football players. Some concussions are mild, but can still injure the brain. Severe concussions can cause vomiting, changes in behavior and physical coordination, confusion or disorientation, and even seizures. Flyers are the most susceptible to concussions, as they have a high risk of falling out of a stunt.

Of course, all physical activities pose risks of injury. Cheerleading shouldn’t cease to exist because it has a higher injury rating than other sports. But, adding cheerleading to the NCAA’s list of recognized sports could improve cheerleaders’ safety. It would maintain up-to-standard regulation for coaches and cheerleading squads, and bring more attention to these concerning injury statistics. Not to mention that cheerleaders clearly deserve recognition for their athleticism.

Jordan is health and fitness writer for Her Campus and a sophomore at Temple University studying journalism and French. She enjoys reading, writing, photographing, and traveling when she gets the chance. She also has a linkedin, because she hopes to be employed someday: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jordan-gunselman/88/205/44a
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.