Campus Cutie: Kate Dawson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Kate Dawson, a junior communication studies major and French minor, is setting her sights on a career that will take her places: literally. This Bethlehem, Pa native spent last semester studying in London, and wants to continue travelling and helping people as much as possible along the way. She describes herself as eclectic, analytical, and positive. As a member of Temple’s all female a capella group Singchronize, a past Temple SMASH and Insomnia Theatre Company performer, and a volunteer for the Honors Appalachian Experience, Kate has her hands full, but still finds time for her internship with Allied Integrated Marketing.

Favorite spot on campus:  That building right across from the Conwell Inn next to TPAC with the big Temple flag on it.  In the fall the tree there turns a gorgeous shade of gold and the side of the building on Liacouras has a quote of Russell Conwell’s that says “Greatness consists in doing great deeds with little means.” 

Tell me about your internship. What’s a typical day in the life for you?:  At my internship at Allied Integrated Marketing, I work under a publicist whose clients are Paramount, Disney, and Sony film studios.  I am specifically the Paramount Intern, so as Paramount plans for its upcoming movie releases, like Daddy’s Home with Will Ferrel and Mark Wahlberg opening this Christmas (shameless plug), they email my boss a directive, or a general schematic of how they would like to see us advertise the film in our market, and often email me a specific “college directive.”  Sometimes my day at work will be researching events we can promote new movies at, like festivals and football games, or just brainstorming  guerrilla marketing stunts and pitching them to my boss.  Sometimes I come in and immediately walk out to buy a bunch of stuff with the company card to make cute gift baskets for press drops, and sometimes I just make a ton of cold calls offering people free movie tickets.  You’d be surprised at how many people actually say no to free stuff.

What made you choose Temple?: Temple’s resources and location are unbeatable.  They gave me a great scholarship and their study abroad opportunities are incredible.  

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?: Three years ago, I probably would have answered this question easily and with annoyingly naive certainty, but today, I thoroughly believe that it is impossible for me to predict this.  I hope life hits me so hard when I graduate that I find new inspirations and opportunities that will lead me to an incredible career that I might never have imagined.  I’m sincerely envious of people who know exactly what they want, but right now I’m working for more short term goals and hoping they bring me to that place.  I’m also going through a bit of a quarter life crisis, but hey, aren’t we all?

What has been the highlight of your college experience so far?: Tie! Studying abroad in London this past Spring was an opportunity I am so thankful for and will never forget. Living independently in a foreign country, traveling Europe on weekends, and being constantly confronted with new and exciting experiences reminded me why I want so badly to have a career where I can travel, whatever that career may be.  Participating in the Honors Appalachian Experience has impacted me almost as greatly though, by combining my love of traveling with helping others, making me realize that if it’s not improving other people’s lives, even in a small way, it’s probably not worth doing. 

If you could have lunch with anyone, who would it be and why?: If we’re going with living people, Mindy Kaling.  She’s brilliant and hilarious and I want to ask her a million questions about her creative process and what it’s like to work at Dunder Mifflin. 

What is something no one knows about you?: I have made over one million crayons as a Crayonologist at the Crayola Experience.  All of them red. 
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.