Campus Celebrity: Amaris Mitchell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

While students come to college to ensure their own academic and career success, Amaris Mitchell doesn’t have just her future in her mind. She aims to enlighten and serve others of various communities. And it’s that attitude which makes Temple students from all different backgrounds gravitate towards her. Mitchell is a rising senior in the Media Studies Production program and this year’s aspiring Homecoming Queen.

Her energy radiates throughout the room and she stays true to herself no matter the circumstance or crowd. Mitchell is a social butterfly, to say the least. If you’ve had the fortune of being in Amaris’ presence on multiple occasions, you’ll notice a pattern of laughter, constant smiling, and the feeling of being at ease amongst yourself and others. Amaris is the person we all strive to be: genuine, optimistic, approachable, passionate about life, and still hard working.

Being the social butterfly that she is, Mitchell enthusiastically answered a few questions I threw her way.

Describe your relationship with Temple. How has going to school here and in Philadelphia made you the person you are today?I fell in love with Temple three or four years ago when I came to visit a friend who went here for a National Association of Black Journalists conference. I loved the campus and felt like I could simply copy and paste myself here. I appreciated how traditional the buildings looked, how artsy the students were, and the connection that I thought the school had with the community. 

In terms of academics as an MSP and African American Studies student, I love the program here and I would not want to be educated at any other institution. I would say my favorite part about Temple are the student organizations-especially the ones that cater to black women and queer people because they’re so educational and well put together with diversity in the sense of community that they uphold.

Because I go to school here, I am exposed to issues of homelessness, racism, sexism, classism, and many intersections of oppression. Living here makes me feel like I have a greater purpose to fulfill with my career because we are occupying the community by going here. [We] should contribute some type of change with our degree.

People around campus respect your presence. You inspire others to be themselves. What advice would you give to Temple students trying to find their way?For people who want to make the best of their experience here at Temple, I would say just do what you want to do. Don’t waste time because when people say that your college years go by fast, they are not lying! I would also say to definitely get involved with that organization or sport that you’ve been putting off. The sooner you get into it, the better your experience. This is your time to be an opportunist. Work on bettering yourself, finding out what you like to do, and take advantage of every opportunity here…whether it is free food or a scholarship.

What are your aspirations? When you leave Temple where will you be?My short-term goal is to work for a production company as an assistant possibly in New York, Atlanta, or Los Angeles. I want to create positive representations of people of color in the media!

Why are you Temple Made?My strong love for Temple and how much I have evolved as a person and expanded my thinking because of this school. For example, I love the diversity that Temple is supposed to stand for and learning from other cultures. I support just about everything that temple has to offer as far as organizations, events, and programs. I’m always out, attending something and interacting with people.

What is your favorite motto?My favorite motto is one that I learned in my Black Woman class with Donela Wright. The motto is “lift as we climb”, said by Mary Church Terrell. It reminds me that I have a greater responsibility to uplift people as I continue on my journey as a person. In hip-hop terms, it can be translated to “we all eating.” I’m always keeping people in mind in terms of jobs and opportunities depending on their interests rather than hoarding information to myself and hindering them from growing while I am. Life is better when people make it with you.

Word around Temple is you’re looking hold the crown as Homecoming Queen this year. What made you want to run and what is your platform?I wanted to run for Homecoming Queen since I came here. I feel like now is the time. I know so many people; especially people who have issues with Temple, but a common love for it as well and often feel unheard. I have an outgoing personality and can be really goofy but I want to use that platform as Homecoming Queen to open up discussion about serious issues that affect marginalized people on campus, specifically, people of color, women, and the LGBTQIA community.

Any final words before I let you go?Work with me to not just make Temple diverse, but let’s actually use our diversity on campus to learn from and better each other as well as our extended community on and off campus!