10 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Not Go Greek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Greek life is big deal on most college campuses, even at Temple. While Greek life may be a great option for some people, it may not be for others, and that is perfectly okay! Don’t worry, not being in a sorority doesn’t make you an outcast on campus, and here are some reasons why.

1. Greek life isn’t for everyone.

College is all about finding yourself and having the time of your life. Just because you don’t fall into a stigma for a specific organization that doesn’t mean there isn’t another organization out there for you.

2. There are so many ways to get involved on campus.

There is a club or organization for just about everything on campus. Literally everything. Getting involved with different student organizations is a great way to meet people and make friends!

3. You will have more free time.

Greek life can be very time consuming. It is really easy to fall behind in school, work, and anything else you’re involved in if you don’t have great time management skills. Not being able to commit to Greek life is perfectly acceptable! Find things you love and are passionate about to commit to instead.

4. You can still party.

You don’t need to be in a sorority to party. First of all, not all parties are Greek. Second, if you have friends that are Greek you will still get most of the fun perks of Greek life without actually being in it!

5. You will save so much money.

Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want some extra cash in their pockets? Dues add up to hundreds of dollars per year. Most organizations are either free to join or have small amounts to pay to join.

6. There are plenty of other ways to make connections.

Joining Greek life just for the purpose of making connections isn’t a good reason.  There are always networking events taking place on campus. Most organizations also host a number of networking and professional development workshops.

7. You get to make your own rules.

No one controls when you study, go out, or attend events. Who wouldn’t love being their own boss? College is hard. There are so many things you have to keep up with- you don’t need to worry about satisfying other people. Satisfy yourself first!

8. Hazing.

There can be potential hazing involved before you are formally initiated into a Greek organization. It can range from being as small as doing their b*tch work to physical labor and humiliation. I don’t know about you, but degrading yourself and being a miserable pledge doesn’t sound too great to me.

9. Meetings.

Meetings suck. Why would you want to get stuck attending multiple meetings a week sometimes that doesn’t even benefit you?

10. Your college years will be some of the best years of your life.

You’re going to remember the years you spent in college for forever, so why wouldn’t you want to make the best memories possible? Whether you’re in Greek life or not, everyone has so many opportunities to make amazing friends and amazing memories and find their place on campus.

We’re not in high school anymore and cliques aren’t a thing. Don’t waste your college years- use them to find yourself instead of letting other people tell you what to do.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.