This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Halloween is officially over, which means it is now completely acceptable to start getting excited for 

Thanksgiving. In less than a month, it will be fall break and students will flee home to celebrate one of 

the year’s best holidays. If you need a little convincing to believe that Thanksgiving Break is one of the 

best times of the entire year, here you go. 

1. The food, obviously.

Just thinking about it should make your mouth water. After months and months of the same cafeteria 

food, it is nothing short of a gift from God to get a delicious home cooked Thanksgiving meal. Turkey, 

stuffing, mashed potatoes, biscuits, pumpkin pie, and all of your other favorite carb-filled favorites are 

typically on the menu for Thanksgiving dinner. This is the perfect time to load up on as much food that 

you can possibly stomach. “Food-babies” are encouraged on Thanksgiving. And can you say leftovers?

2. Spending time with your family.

Thanksgiving is a time to surround yourself with the people you care about the most. Whether it’s your 

immediate family, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, friends, neighbors, or whoever you spend 

your holidays with, seeing them after a long time always feels great. As much as we hate entertaining 

questions from our aunts such as, “Why aren’t you dating anyone?” and “So, what do you want to do 

after you graduate?” we all have to go through it together. So power through the endless prying from 

your family, because they’re really just happy to see you. And let’s be honest, you’re probably happy to 

see them too. 

3. Football, Football, Football!

Thanksgiving Day football is an American tradition and it is probably always on in the background of 

your Thanksgiving festivities. The Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions hold the two afternoon games 

every year, and the third game consists of different teams every year. For Philadelphia fans, this year is 

special because the Eagles will be matching up against the Lions this year for the 12:30 p.m. game. If 

you’re lucky, yummy appetizers will be prepared and help tide you over until dinner. And if football isn’t 

your thing, it’s a good activity for football lovers in your family to enjoy if you need a little break. 

4. Catching up with your high-school friends

It’s probably been a couple months since you’ve seen your old pals from high school, so a reunion can 

be very exciting. The day before Thanksgiving is typically the time these rendezvous occur, and are often 

eagerly awaited. Sometimes you grow a little tired of your friends at college, and you need a get-

together with your friends from home for some sanity. It can come as a surprise when you realize how 

much you actually missed them, until you’re embraced in a long-overdue hug. Warning: While these 

reunions are fun, it is very important to remain careful on the roads. The night before Thanksgiving is 

one of the most notorious times for DUI’s and police checkpoints. So if you and your friends decide to 

celebrate with a little alcohol, do not drive.  If you are on the road that night, be extra cautious. 

5. Black Friday

If you are one of the brave souls that participate in Black Friday shopping, this is a great part of 

Thanksgiving break. Although it can be hectic and at sometimes…violent, it can be thrilling for an avid 

shopper. Electronics, clothes, and just about everything you’d want for Christmas are on sale. It’s a great 

opportunity to knock out your Christmas shopping early and save yourself a ton of money. If you are 

heading to the mall that Friday, may the odds be ever in your favor. And if you don’t have that kind of 

motivation, there is always Cyber Monday.

6. It’s officially the holiday season.

As Thanksgiving ends, it means that Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza are right around the corner. The 

festive decorations go up, and there’s a noticeable cheer in the air. This is the point where it is 

acceptable to listen to Christmas music (I’m sorry but any time before this is unacceptable). So feel free 

to blast your favorite holiday songs without a care in the world. Make your lists, check them twice, and 

embrace the holiday cheer. 

7. Reunite with your bed at home.

It’s been too long my friend. Prepare yourself for some well-needed nights of sleep. Because no matter 

how thick and comfy your mattress pad is on your dorm bed, nothing beats curling up on your bed at 

home. 

8. Stress Free!

Unless you have an evil professor who assigns homework over Thanksgiving break, this is most likely 

your first break from homework. Enjoy it! Don’t check your email, don’t open your backpack, and soak it 

in. The most stressful moment of Thanksgiving break should be deciding if you should go in for seconds 

(or thirds). Take advantage of this mental relaxation because finals are right around the corner, so rest 

up!

9. It’s a great opportunity to clean out your room at school.

Bring those crop tops in your drawers home. I know you may think you may find some occasion to wear 

them again, but you won’t. Still have a pair of flip-flops or shorts lingering in your closet? Pack them up. 

It’s time once and for all to get rid of any summer clothing taking up space in your room. Bring back a 

suitcase of sweaters, scarves, and boots because you’re going to need them. Use thanksgiving break as 

an opportunity to switch out your seasonal clothing and make some space.

10. Home sweet home. 

You finally get to break out of your bubble at your college, and enter back into the place you left a 

couple of months ago. The familiarity of your hometown is always comforting and is a great escape from 

a stressful semester. Stop at all your favorite restaurants at home, eat some comfort food and soak it all 

in. Enjoy all of the best things about Thanksgiving that are listed above. There really is no place like 

home!

Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.