This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

TCU’s left offensive tackle received a grade of 78.7 in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl as a freshman by Pro Football Focus. Lucas Niang said he chose TCU football because he knew Coach Gary Patterson cares more about the players than he does about football; meanwhile, he felt that other coaches from prospective universities were simply trying to sell him.

Coming from New Canaan, Connecticut, his toughest obstacle was acclimating to the summer temperatures in Texas, comically mentioning that he had almost passed out a couple of times during practice, said Niang.

When asked about his experience in the bowl game and his thoughts on being highly graded for his performance, Niang humbly replied that it is neat but that he is here to do exactly that.

The new season is already on the freshman’s agenda to prevent future losses like the one to Georgia. Niang says he believes the team’s inability to work together is attributed to that loss. He says he wants to see individual growth in skills and the team as a whole. (Photos courtesy of Lucas Niang)

Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.