How to Dress Business Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I am not typically described as “fashion-forward,” but I typically like to believe my outfit choices are stylish. Unfortunately, as I’m finding myself in the midst of interviews and jobs and internships, I’ve found that business clothes have a way of making me feel bland and unattractive. Thankfully though, my mom has spent years navigating the business world and has helped me find ways to highlight my personality and feel stylish, all while meeting the business casual dress code.

1. Know your limits. 

It is my opinion that business casual is the hardest style to dress to. While a guy’s business casual is pretty straight forward, slacks and a button up, women’s business casual doesn’t have any set rules. Additionally, one office’s business casual can be immensely different from another office’s. When first starting out, play it safe. Usually a blouse, pants, and blazer in neutral colors are a safe bet before you get the feel for the office clothing environment. Even after you get a feel for the environment and you start playing around with your fashion, make sure you don’t go too far.

2. Buy clothes that fit! Nothing can make you feel uglier than wearing business clothes that don’t fit you correctly. Wearing pants that are too baggy or too tight can easily make your outfit feel blah. If you find pants that fit you perfectly in your waist and thighs but don’t have the most flattering hemline, get the pants tailored or ask the sales associate if there are any other cuts of the same pant.

3. Have one statement piece. 

Even when you’re still dressing fairly neutral, it’s okay to add some personality to your outfit. Just don’t overdo it. If you want to wear a colorful blazer, make sure your pants and blouse are neutral. If you want to wear a statement necklace, don’t go heavy on patterns in your outfit. Making business casual fashionable is all about doing so tastefully and moderately. If you go completely wild with bright colors and loud patterns, you’ll stick out like a sore thumb. However, a dollop of color here or there adds personality.

4. Shoes, shoes, shoes. 

I am a huge shoe person. So much so that my shoe obsession could probably be considered a problem. With that said, I am here to tell you that it is possible to find shoes that are cute, comfortable, AND business-y. Heels aren’t required when wearing business casual, but if you choose to rock heels, make sure they’re shoes that aren’t going to absolutely kill your feet. Make sure you buy shoes that make you feel good, too. If you’re not a fan of flats, but don’t necessarily want to wear high heels, shorter, chunky heels are comfortable and super cute to wear when dressing business casual. Additionally, patterned or colored shoes can make a great statement piece for your outfit.

5. Be Confident!!! 

You could be rocking the cutest outfit in the world and look amazing, but if you aren’t confident in yourself, that will still show. As long as you have faith in your abilities and feel confident in yourself, you will be successful in whatever outfit you are wearing!

Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.