17 Stages of Waiting for a Boy to Text You Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

So you like a boy. You have reason to believe he likes you too. So, being the confident collegiette™ that you are, you decide to text him first. You figure you’ll know just what to say, he’ll reply right away, and you’ll talk for hours. However, that’s not always the case. Sometimes, texting a boy and waiting for his reply can seem like more of a chore than a fun way to pass the time. Here are the 17 stages of texting (and waiting) for that boy to text you back.

1.      So you decide to text him. You’re gonna do it. You’re confident in your decision. What you’re sending is so witty and great that you know he’ll reply ASAP.

2.      You work hard to come up with a text that doesn’t come on too strong, but isn’t too casual either. But after a lot of careful consideration, you ultimately decide on the go-to convo starter:

3.      At first, you’re confident. But then you hit send…

4.      …and you proceed to wait.

5.      As time goes on, you start to regret your decision.

6.      You try to pretend you’re not freaking out inside…

7.      …as you continue to check your phone every few seconds.

8.      After a few minutes with no response, you start coming up with reasons why he didn’t reply the second you sent it.

9.      Maybe he’s flying across the world or is conveniently at that one spot on campus that has absolutely zero cell service. 

10.      You tell yourself you’re over it.

11.      And that you don’t need a boy to text you back to make you feel fabulous.

12.      So, you put on some empowering music and try to chill. He’ll respond eventually.

13.      In the meantime, you plan out all of the possible things you’ll say when he does reply.

14.      Because hey, isn’t that what we all do?

15.      When he finally does respond with a valid excuse for his late reply…

16.      …you play it cool and act nonchalant.

17.      But secretly, you’re all like…

Everything is great! But, then you see THIS.

And you realize you now have to deal with an entirely different kind of stress. No worries, collegiette™. You’ve got this!

Photo source 

Emily is a contributing writer for Her Campus TCU and a sophomore English/Political Science double major on the Pre-Law track. She is a northerner with a newly discovered obsession with sweet tea, large t-shirts, and anything southern. When she's not worrying about her future, Emily enjoys watching marathons of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, discovering eclectic coffee shops that bring out her inner hipster, and contemplating the true meaning of the word "srat". Oh, and she has a fish named Christian.