Winter Break Road Trips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Instead of watching every show on Netflix, cleaning and re-cleaning your room or refusing to leave your warm bed, consider taking a road trip with your family and friends. Here are a few places to enjoy over winter break.

1)      The Crayola Factory

No matter how old you think you are, you can never outgrow the fun of coloring. Return to your childhood by making crayons, playing with melted wax and seeing the world’s largest crayon.

Location: Easton, PA

Price: $18/ ticket

2)      Franklin Institute

Explore the museum’s exhibitions of planes, trains and … body parts? If that does not appeal to you, then check out the films, planetarium or observatory.

Location: Philadelphia, PA

Price: $20/ ticket (IMAX films are extra)

3)      Camelback Mountain

It is definitely not winter without skiing, snowboarding or snow tubing. Voted #1 in Pennsylvania four years in a row, Camelback has 34 different trails varying from the beginner’s bunny hill to the expert’s black diamonds.

Location: Tannersville, PA

Price: $39-65/ ticket (equipment rentals are extra)

4)      Camden Aquarium

Who would not want to visit Hippo Haven or Penguin Island? This aquarium is one of the largest in New Jersey and is filled with a variety of adorable aquatic animals. If you get there before January 1, you might see Scuba Santa swimming with the sharks.

Location: Camden, NJ

Price: $26/ ticket

5)      Lokota Wolf Preserve

For the more adventurous, take a half-mile nature walk or bus ride to the observation area, the center of the preserve, that contains four different packs as well as bobcats and foxes. Make sure to book your tour ahead of time.

Location: Columbia, NJ

Price: $15/ ticket

6)      Rockefeller Christmas Tree

If you live in or near New York City you must see the Rockefeller tree at least once in your life. This 85-foot tree will light up Rockefeller Center until January 7.

Location: New York City, NY

Price: Free!

7)      New York Botanical Gardens

The dead trees and plants during the winter can put a damper on your holiday spirit. Yet the Botanical Gardens can brighten your mood with its seasonal foliage and a holiday train show comprised of 150 miniature iconic New York buildings made of out of the greenery.

Location: Bronx, NY

Price: $13-25

Sophomore Journalism major