This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s true. Former reality star Donald J. Trump is the 45th president-elect. Democrat or Republican, it’s safe to say this election has shocked not only the country, but the world. It could even possibly go down as the most unpredicted race of all time.

With a completely divided nation, we must look for ways to move forward and come together as one. After all, is there even much we can do to change the outcome? No. We must stop dwelling, and look at shaping our future. And it starts with you.

Yes, Clinton fans are outraged; Trump fans are overwhelmed with joy. Each party has every right to feel the way they do. But does this give a right for our own people, American citizens, to say such hateful remarks to each other? From Facebook and Twitter arguments, the most powerful country in the world now appears broken and weak. We need to build ourselves back up, and patch the pieces of this great nation back together.

With anti-Trump protests and the stomping and burning of the American flag, we’ve officially lost it. Participating in protests is your absolute right, however, how are we supposed to work towards unifying this amazing country and everything it has to offer when we’re disrespecting the one thing that makes us so great?

The flag symbolizes our freedom. Without it, we wouldn’t be able to have these protests or be able to vote. This isn’t what we are, people. Most countries don’t even have First Amendment rights like we do!

Here’s the thing. The outcome of this race would have been upsetting to both the left and right side of politics no matter who won. Instead of focusing on what we can’t change, do things to stay proactive and occupy your mind. With so many people saying they’ve lost a friend in the election because of their political party, focus on building that relationship back up. This is one step closer to unifying our country. Take time to see why they voted for the candidate they did.

We aren’t listening to what each other has to say. We’ve got to work together, my friends! Democrat or Republican, telling someone they’re stupid for what they believe in isn’t going to solve anything, it just separates us even further apart.

Regardless of your race, gender, or party affiliation, this country needs to get it together… BIG TIME. We’ve got to spread the love! Even the smallest steps are steps in the right direction. It truly has been one exhausting rollercoaster ride. Maybe even taking a social media break is something we could all use.

Lastly, there is one thing circulating the internet that has beein providing some comic relief for us all…memes. So here he is folks, your president-elect. I think we can all laugh at this one.

Class of Fall 2017, Journalism and Professional Writing  Cat lover "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." -Audrey Hepburn
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.