What Working On Campus Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

After a long summer of working and soaking up the sun, we are back on the grind. As the schoolwork is piling up, our bank accounts are slowly depleting. It is almost impossible not to spend money at college. Whether it is spent on takeout or too many Piccolos runs, a trip to Princeton or Quaker Bridge Mall, the money we worked laboriously for all summer can vanish in the blink of an eye. To avoid this tragic occurrence, many students have taken advantage of on-campus jobs. It seems overwhelming at first: the thought of working while trying to balance school work and a social life. However, putting in the extra work is worth it in the long run for many reasons.

1. Time management: Time management is a definitely an important skill to learn in college. Having a job forces you to get your work done early instead of procrastinating.
  2.  Money Does Not Grow on Trees: This pretty much explains itself. Having a job makes one think twice about aimlessly spending, especially in college when it is so easy to do so.
  3. Independence: Lets be real, you can only ask your parents and grandparents for so much money. Making your own money in college gives you the freedom to do what you want with it, without the guilt.
  4. Extra Money for Breaks: Instead of coming home flat broke for breaks, you will already have money saved up to do fun holiday things instead of working so hard!
  5. Do Not Over Schedule: Working while attending college is not always going to be easy. Dealing with employers and customers can be stressful, especially when all you can do is think about your next exam. Therefore, DO NOT take on more than you can handle. No student should work more than 15 hours per week to avoid mental breakdowns as much as possible!

Finding a job on campus can be difficult to do if many students are all applying for similar, limited jobs. Therefore, think outside of the box and apply to some that are either in walking distance from campus, such as Campus Town, or off campus if you have a car! There are plenty of families within the town of Ewing and Pennington, and even towns over the border of Pennsylvania who need babysitters. This usually is a low commitment job that pays very well per hour.

Take advantage of the opportunities around you! Your wallet will thank you, and so will your resume. It might seem tough at first, but in the long run, you will be happy with your choice to work a little harder.

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.