The Top 5 Christmas Movies to Watch This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

The Christmas season is upon us and that means all things red, green, nonstop holiday music, and best of all, Christmas movies! With finals coming up so quickly, the best way to wind down after a day of studying is to turn on a classic Christmas movie to get you in the spirit. Luckily, we’ve got the top five Christmas movies to watch that are sure to give you some holiday cheer this month.

Counting down:

5. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Everyone loves a good stop-motion Christmas movie. If you need a break from studying, Rudolph is only 45 minutes long, making it a great de-stresser. Plus, Rudolph is just too cute not to love.

Image Source

4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

You read the book when you were little, and sometimes you feel like you resonate more with the Grinch than with the Whos in Whoville. Whether it’s the animated version or Jim Carey’s version, How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a classic Christmas movie that is a good choice if you’re looking for a chuckle but also a feel-good ending.

Image Source

3. The Polar Express

The Polar Express is a timeless movie that will always make this list. It has catchy songs and an ending that will warm even the coldest heart. If you’re looking for a movie that will boost your spirits this season, you can never go wrong with The Polar Express.

Image Source

2. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

For anyone looking for a hilarious, dysfunctional family Christmas movie, this is the only one for you. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation will have you laughing from start to finish with its raunchy jokes and oddities that occur throughout the movie. As funny as it is, it still makes you appreciate your family around the holiday season.

Image Source

1. Elf

Elf is one of, if not the most, quotable Christmas movie of all times. If you don’t watch this movie multiple times before December 25th, you’re doing Christmas wrong. Buddy the Elf is every Christmas loving person out there, just trying to spread holiday cheer and singing loud for all to hear.

Image Source

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.