TCNJ Class Registration: Tips & Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

May the odds be ever in your favor…

It’s everyone’s favorite time of the year…waking up at 7 a.m. just to sign on to PAWS and realize that every class in your shopping cart is filled. You may begin to panic (and possibly cry) because you think you’re going to get stuck with all 8 a.m. classes, or worse, taking classes that won’t count towards any requirements. Don’t fret. The solution to this extremely common registration problem is preventing it before it happens.

Beginning on Tuesday, April 7, the registration window will open, and for those lucky souls with a good time slot, almost all classes are fair game. But, after Friday, April 17, registration will be closed.

In order to remain organized, it is recommended (and highly suggested) that you prepare a few back-up plans. Prior to your registration appointment, you should meet with your advisor. Again, this is before your registration time – do not schedule an appointment after you accidentally registered for all the wrong classes and the registration window has closed.

In addition to an appointment with your advisor, you should make your own organized document with the classes you want to take, the classes you need to take, and the classes you may have questions about. Get opinions from professors and classmates before talking to your advisor. After listing these classes, and getting opinions, check to see which ones will cover the most requirements.

It’s better to take one class (that you may not want to take) that fulfills numerous requirements, than to take a bunch of classes (that you may enjoy more) that only fulfills one requirement each. Think of the big picture here – you want to graduate on time.

While it is a smart idea to outline classes you will need to take in the future, it’s an even better idea to plan back-up classes that would fulfill the same requirements as your first choices. As long as you’re taking classes that count toward your major, or minor it’s not a waste of time.

By planning well in advance, preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best, registration should not be too overwhelming. Go into this process with the big picture in mind, and don’t let your lack of organization (and effort) be the reason you get stuck in any unwanted classes. Keep breathing and may the odds be ever in your favor…