nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Small Changes to your Morning Routine that Make a Huge Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

1. Set your alarm earlier than you need

Rushing and lateness are some of the biggest sources of morning stress and are a sure way to start off your day on the wrong foot. Setting your alarm a bit earlier and giving yourself time to enjoy the peaceful early hours of the morning can be life changing.

2. Avoid your phone

One bad habit that is especially difficult to kick is grabbing your phone as soon as the alarm goes off and browsing social media in bed. Having done this before, I know that in a morning haze, it is easy to stay on your phone way longer than you would have liked. Turn off that alarm, put the phone down, and get moving.

3. Leave time for a morning stretch

I love getting a quick stretch in the morning. Whether this means having a yoga mat handy in your room or simply stretching in bed when you first get up, this is definitely great for waking up your body and safeguarding it from injury before you start your day. It will wake you up and make that first step out of bed easier and lighter.

4. Leave a glass of lemon water next to your bed to chug

Imagine going eight hours throughout the day without water. Feeling thirsty just thinking about it, right? Now you can imagine how dehydrated your body is when you first wake up in the morning. Drinking a 16oz glass of water first thing in the morning can do amazing things for your body, and the benefits of adding lemon include firing up your metabolic and immune systems, increasing energy, and aiding weight loss!

5. Meal prep a healthy breakfast to save time

Meal prepping your breakfast for a busy work week can ensure you never miss your first meal of the day. My favorite breakfast meal prep is overnight oats, and you can find recipes all over the internet for this! Assembling smoothie ingredients in a bag to throw in a magic bullet is another lifesaver, and takes only minutes in the morning if it is planned at night. 

Image Source

6. Make your bed

Making your bed is such a small task that can make such a huge difference in setting the tone for the day. It has been linked to higher levels of productivity throughout the day and lower levels of stress. It will leave you wanting to keep the rest of your room tidy as well.  If you aren’t sold yet, this speech by Admiral William McRaven, will change your mind.

7. Start each day with a grateful heart!

To wake up with thoughts of gratitude, and to remember that each and every day is a blessing that not all those afford, will always set the tone for a great day. It can get you through mornings of the days that you know will hold your greatest trials, or to reaffirm positivity on those mornings that will be your best.

Student at The College of New Jersey 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.