This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Jessa Gianotti

According to Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog who failed to see his shadow early this month, spring is arriving early this year. However, anybody who has been walking around campus in the cold this week knows that spring is nowhere in sight. Here are some tips for dressing for what’s left of winter… and hopefully carrying over some of these pieces into your spring wardrobe as well!

Leggings:

Leggings made out of materials such as leather, or ones that are textured or embellished are awesome alternatives to plain black cotton leggings. Colored or patterned leggings are also a great way to spice up your outfit while being just as comfy as a pair of sweatpants! Pair them with a plain tee or shirt and you have a comfortable, lazy day outfit that looks perfectly pieced together.

Vests:

Wearing a vest is a great way to layer in the cold weather without sacrificing style or comfort. Vests are cozy and warm without being too constricting or puffy. Since the winter is coming to an end, many stores have their outerwear on sale, so now might be a good time to invest in one! Vests are a great winter piece that can carry over into your spring wardrobe as well and serve as a cute alternative to a hoodie.

Button-Downs:

Button-down shirts are the ultimate layering piece! They are loose and comfortable but stylish at the same time. Any type of button-down can be a great addition to your wardrobe because they are so versatile! Boyfriend-fit button-downs are very flattering, and so are regular or slim fit shirts. They can be worn alone, under a sweater, or unbuttoned with a cute top underneath. They are great to wear all year round, especially if they are made of a lightweight fabric. Chambray is also a great comfortable material that can spice up any outfit, and flannel button-downs can look adorable when paired with a vest!

Sweaters:

A thick, chunky sweater is an adorable alternative to a hoodie on a cold winter day. Sweaters come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and can complement almost any winter outfit. You can wear a sweater over a sundress, and pair it with cute stockings and boots to wear in colder weather, or just throw one on over some leggings for an effortlessly chic look. A cozy pullover sweater provides the comfort and warmth of a hoodie without making you look like you just rolled out of bed.

Accessories:

Winter accessories are the best part about this season! Seriously, who doesn’t love wearing a cozy infinity scarf around their neck while walking to class?

“I love wearing scarves,” says Cornelia Szymanski, a sophomore at TCNJ. “They’re an easy way to make any outfit look cute.”

This collegiette knows what she’s talking about. Everyone’s winter wardrobe should consist of at least a few chunky scarves to top off an outfit. Pair your scarf with a pair of texting gloves, and you’ll be good to go!

Shoes:

If you haven’t done so already, it’s time to ditch your Uggs and opt for some more stylish winter footwear. Of course Uggs are awesome for more casual days, but if you want to pull together a chic winter look, you should go for a pair of riding boots. Combat boots are adorable as well. They are the ultimate accessory to pair with leggings or skinny jeans when stepping outside on a cold winter day.

How do you dress up your winter wardrobe?

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.